Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Show the evolution of reading records in pentaho RD preview

Default Show the evolution of reading records in pentaho RD preview

Hi.
    I'm developing a java application that calls a report made in Pentaho Report Designer. The report in turn takes the data from a Pentaho DI transformation. The data is read from excel sheets and can exceed 200,000 records.
    Once the report preview screen appears, can you get a screen that shows the evolution of the reading of the data?
    Having so much data it is very heavy to wait for the results of the report to appear and if you could put some distraction the user would know that the program is not hung.
    Thanks in advance.

The latest version of the BI server (7.0) shows a progress bar when generating a report.

Hi luckfy.
    Thanks for your answer.

I do not use Bi Server. I'm using Netbeans and implement Pentaho RD 6 and 7 in my java standalone application.

They are independent reports bound from java applications.
    The progress bar that you indicate to me does appear when you launch the report, but it is active when Pentaho RD is receiving the data.
    While the transformation is running from Pentaho DI the report screen does not show any evolution and it seems that the system is hung.
    What I would like to know is if there is an option in Pentaho RD so that when calling the data source it captures the messages
    that Pentaho DI may be generating.

The data-source does not give an indication of how long it will take to get the data, and the reporting engine cannot start working until all data is there. The cheap solution is to set the ProgressBar to "indeterminate" state until you receive a progress event that has the total rows set. Sadly the ReportProgressBar, ReportProgressDialog as well as the PreviewDialog/Frame have no getters to let you get to that JProgressBar. (Yeah, I was pretty good writing locked down code. )

My recommendation is to copy the 3 classes involved and to change them (as edited source-code) in your project. If you are unsure about the LGPL impact simply keep these classes in a separate library (they wont depend on your business logic anyway) and ship the changed sources for these 3 classes long with your product.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Hi, Taqua.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'll try to prove what you say and I'll tell you something.