Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Repository Explorer: Database Connections: "Unable to initialize security tab" dialog

Unhappy Repository Explorer: Database Connections: "Unable to initialize security tab" dialog

Hi there,
    I'm very new in Pentaho Data Integration (PDI) - Kettle and my issue is exactly the same as described in PDI-15871: Repository Explorer: Database Connections tab shows "Unable to initialize security tab" dialog on jira.pentaho.com site. According to this, the issue has been closed and resoluted as solved since the end of March, but I don't understand how, since there are two pending versions planned to solve this bug (October 1st and December 31st, 2017). Actions to reproduce:
    - download, install and configure the latest PDI version available (v7.0.0.0-25): all tests, according to the documentation, passed
    - fix all JDBC issues regarding needed connectors: postgresql, ms-sql and mysql: any kind of connection can be made
    - test create/save/reopen simple .ktr files with only connections inside; I've understood that only one database connection can be saved in such a file, so decide to setup a database repository for multiple connections management
    - create an empty, network accessible mysql database
    - connect to that empty database as repository (according to documentation): ok, the schema is created and tables are populated (check with MySQL Workbench)
    - open Repository Explorer > Connections and add (+) a new ms-sql database connection: no error, except nothing is displayed upon finish
    - close Repository Explorer, then reopen; click Connections Tab > "Unable to initialize Security tab"
    - try the same with a PostgreSQL empty database: exactly the same behaviour
    - check repository databases with MySQL Workbench (and PGAdmin III respectively) and new connection data are stored in R_DATABASE table, as entered
    ... still, cannot use repository for storing database connection data with "Unable to initialize Security tab" error.
    Can anyone help me ? Is there any workaround for this until new versions are released ?

Unhappy Repository Explorer: Database Connections: Unable to initialize security tab

Hi there,
    I'm very new in Pentaho Data Integration (PDI) - Kettle and my issue is exactly the same as described in PDI-15871: Repository Explorer: Database Connections tab shows "Unable to initialize security tab" dialog on jira.pentaho.com site. According to this, the issue has been closed and resoluted as solved since the end of March, but I don't understand how, since there are two pending versions planned to solve this bug (October 1st and December 31st, 2017). Actions to reproduce:
    - download, install and configure the latest PDI version available (v7.0.0.0-25): all tests, according to the documentation, passed
    - fix all JDBC issues regarding needed connectors: postgresql, ms-sql and mysql: any kind of connection can be made
    - test create/save/reopen simple .ktr files with only connections inside; I've understood that only one database connection can be saved in such a file, so decide to setup a database repository for multiple connections management
    - create an empty, network accessible mysql database
    - connect to that empty database as repository (according to documentation): ok, the schema is created and tables are populated (check with MySQL Workbench)
    - open Repository Explorer > Connections and add (+) a new ms-sql database connection: no error, except nothing is displayed upon finish
    - close Repository Explorer, then reopen; click Connections Tab > "Unable to initialize Security tab"
    - try the same with a PostgreSQL empty database: exactly the same behaviour
    - check repository databases with MySQL Workbench (and PGAdmin III respectively) and new connection data are stored in R_DATABASE table, as entered
    ... still, cannot use repository for storing database connection data with "Unable to initialize Security tab" error.
    Can anyone help me ? Is there any workaround for this until new versions are released ?