Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to improve kitchen startup time ?

Default How to improve kitchen startup time ?

Hi,
    I am looking for some advice on how to influence the startup times of Kitchen from a batch interface.
    We are using Pentaho ce-7.0.0.0-25 with no repository.

There are several very regular jobs that take one or two seconds to process but it can take up to 10 seconds
    for Kitchen to get into gear.
    I can see many posts around this but they all seem to go back many years so I thought I would 'referesh' the issue.
    I can also see a lot of enhancement suggestions but, again, they are just in the never-never pipeline.

I will also say I am a user of this tool not a developer so the twists and turns of something like Karaf and OSGI are lost on me.

Here is one example :
    #-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WARNING: Using java from path
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME=
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA=java.exe
    C:\wehibi\Pentaho\Pentaho_ce_7.0\data-integration

C:\wehibi\Pentaho\Pentaho_ce_7.0\data-integration>"java.exe" "-Xms1024m" "-Xmx2048m" "-XX:MaxPermSize=256m" "-Dhttps.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2" "-Djava.library.path=libswt\win64" "-DKETTLE_HOME=C:\wehibi\Pentaho" "-DKETTLE_REPOSITORY=" "-DKETTLE_USER=" "-DKETTLE_PASSWORD=" "-DKETTLE_PLUGIN_PACKAGES=" "-DKETTLE_LOG_SIZE_LIMIT=" "-DKETTLE_JNDI_ROOT=" -jar launcher\pentaho-application-launcher-7.0.0.0-25.jar -lib ..\libswt\win64 -main org.pentaho.di.kitchen.Kitchen -initialDir "C:\wehibi\Pentaho\Pentaho_ce_7.0\data-integration"\ /file:C:\wehibi\Pentaho_DI_saves_SQLServer\JobSuper_Users_CC_N_Push_2_BasW_quick.kjb /level:Basic
    16:17:01,815 INFO [KarafBoot] Checking to see if org.pentaho.clean.karaf.cache is enabled
    16:17:04,940 INFO [KarafInstance]
    *******************************************************************************
    *** Karaf Instance Number: 1 at C:\wehibi\Pentaho\Pentaho_ce_7.0\data-integ ***
    *** ration\.\system\karaf\caches\kitchen\data-1 ***
    *** Karaf Port:8802 ***
    *** OSGI Service Port:9051 ***
    *******************************************************************************
    2017/07/24 16:17:05 - Kitchen - Logging is at level : Basic
    2017/07/24 16:17:05 - Kitchen - Start of run.
    2017/07/24 16:17:10 - JobSuper_Users_CC_N_Push_2_BasW_quick - Start of job execution
    2017/07/24 16:17:11 - JobSuper_Users_CC_N_Push_2_BasW_quick - Starting entry [Write Start Log ]
    2017/07/24 16:17:11 - JobSuper_Users_CC_N_Push_2_BasW_quick - ######################################################################################

My simple reading says there are 3 seconds lost at "[KarafBoot] Checking to see if org.pentaho.clean.karaf.cache is enabled"
    and then another 6 seconds are lost between 'Kitchen - Start of run.' and it doing anything.

So can anybody suggest any ways I can configure some of this delay away ?

Thanks
    JC

Hi, JC.

I'm really sorry to do this to you, but I have this exact same question, and am hoping that a reply will get your question some more visibility. From the reading I've done, it looks like Karaf cannot be separated from the Kitchen startup, so there's likely very little that can be done to speed Kitchen up.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to implement Carte as a service under CE that will then allow windows Scheduled Tasks to call Kettle jobs via a URL that calls Carte (this documentation seems to indicate it is possible). Failing that, what other methods are available to start jobs? Leave an instance of spoon running with the scheduler in the foreground? Switch to Linux and use CRON?

Suggestions for how to overcome this are greatly appreciated. This is a major stumbling block to our continued use of Kettle.

Thanks.

-Kevin

A bit late now but there is an exhaustive and well explained solution from one of the ex PDI developers here:

https://blog.twineworks.com/improvin...n-78d0803c559b

Thanks, codek!

You're not late at all - in fact, we were just discussing this issue on a call this morning, so your timing is perfect!

THANK YOU for paying attention to the forum and for following up! The article you linked is going to be a huge help to us.