Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Report with user provided spreadsheet

Default Report with user provided spreadsheet

Hi,

I would like to ask if it is possible to build a report that presents the result of joining:
    - data from a data base query, and
    - a spreadsheet provided by the user at runtime.

The data base query would be fixed and the spreadsheet would have a fixed format (or schema). The spreadsheet's format would include one (or more) field(s) on which to perform the join operation with the data base query. The user would only be able to change the data inside the spreadsheet.

I am looking for a solution that does not involve uploading the spreadsheet's data into the database.

Is this possible using Pentaho reporting? How can I do it?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Agustin

It is possible. You have to use pentaho transformation(Kettle) as data source and before it U have to create a transformation where you will use spreadsheet and database query as input variables in transformation.Please check the below link :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYmQHhKQbu0

We have some ETLs implemented which load data from a user-provided Excel (so the original poster could do the same, but use the ETL as a report datasource), but this Excel has to be put at an exact location on a network drive, which is not very convenient. I wonder if there's a simple way for the user to upload his Excel directly to the BI server. As far as I know, there isn't.

You can use the Community File Repository feature and create a CDE dashboard to upload the files to the repository

We upload CSV files that way (not sure if it is file restricted or any file can be uploaded)