Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Add new column based on the condition

Default Add new column based on the condition

Hello, can you please help me add a new column to the text output (.csv) based on the condition.

Example, the similarity of the fields is >=0.8 then add new column called with value 1.

I am combining 3 calculators results into one formula, can you please help me. I need to somehow include the name of the "step" and the name of the filed

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  19.5 KB
    Thanks!
    Last edited by marijamilojevic87@yahoo.c; 09-28-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Default How to get and use the name of the step in the formula or calculator

Hello all,

can you please help me finding a way to combine multiple steps into one formula?

What I am trying to achieve is to calculate [JW L1 M2][FieldA]/3 +[JW M1 L1][FieldA]/3= new field

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  19.5 KB

So you have something like this:
    Dataset1
    col1 colDS1
    A 0.3
    B 0.9

Dataset2
    col1 colDS2
    C 0.2
    D 0.85

etc
    And you want to end up with a .csv like this?
    col1 colDS NewCol
    A 0.3
    B 0.9 colDS1
    C 0.2
    D 0.85 colDS2
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE

yes, exactly!

i think you will have to use cartesian product step to get all the fields and then apply condition to get exact rows

we can use dummy step to combine the fields and then formula to get the result of final fields.
    Please find attached sample.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi @rajeshbcrec,
    How did you manage to get the Dummy step to not throw an error when you try to combine the two datasets in one stream? If I try to replicate it in a new step I get an error because ds1 column has a different name than ds2 column. If I just run your step without modifying it I get this:
    col1 ds1 ds2
    A 0.3 null
    B 0.9 null
    C 0.2 null
    D 0.85 null

Anyway, that's not exactly what the OP is trying (I think, at least from my example), because that doesn't throw up a column telling if the data comes from ds1 column or ds2 column. You need a constant added with the name of the column:combine two fields new column origin.ktr

Edit: I had to change the format of number columns because in Spanish we use "," as decimal separator, you'll have to put whatever separator works in your locale.
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE

Just pointing out that you you know the name of the steps...
    So instead of going "JW L1 M2" directly into the formula step, point it to a distinct "Add Constants" step to add the same column name after each JW step.
    Call this column "DS" with a type of string, length 8.

Now you have data that is the same across all various streams, and they can be joined in any step type you want...

Hi Ana,
    Ignore the dummy step error, and you can also use NVL function if you are not sure about which column will have data.