Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Connection Reset

Default Connection Reset

I have created a Job in Pentaho and running it from Spoon. The problem I am facing is with the Database Connection. My job sometimes runs perfectly fine, retrieves data from SQL tables and write results to the destination SQL tables. However, sometimes I get the following error in the beginning of the Job and the Job ends:

ERROR (version 7.0.0.0-25, build 1 from 2016-11-05 15.35.36 by buildguy) : Unexpected error
    Get Data To Push.0 - ERROR (version 7.0.0.0-25, build 1 from 2016-11-05 15.35.36 by buildguy) : org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException:
    An error occurred executing SQL:
    I/O Error: Connection reset
    at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.openQuery(Database.java:1764)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.tableinput.TableInput.doQuery(TableInput.java:239)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.tableinput.TableInput.processRow(TableInput.java:140)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.RunThread.run(RunThread.java:62)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: I/O Error: Connection reset
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.executeSQL(TdsCore.java:1093)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.microsoftPrepare(TdsCore.java:1219)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsConnection.prepareSQL(JtdsConnection.java:708)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsPreparedStatement.executeQuery(JtdsPreparedStatement.java:1028)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.openQuery(Database.java:1732)
    ... 4 more
    Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    ERROR (version 7.0.0.0-25, build 1 from 2016-11-05 15.35.36 by buildguy) : Unexpected error closing query : org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException:
    Couldn't close query: resultset or prepared statements
    Invalid state, the Connection object is closed.

I am unable to figure out the cause of the issue and any workaround as it is not occurring every time. Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Could it be a driver issue?

Might also be worthwhile putting in some redundancies in case it is due to an unstable network connection or something.

e.g. take this particular step out of the transformation and put it into it's own. Then create a new job and have it so that if this transformation fails that it retries. Do this as many times as you like

I had something similar happen with a Mail step where on occasion it would not connect to the SMTP server. A couple of redundancies sorted that out

Regarding driver, I have tried using both jtds-1.2.5 and jtds-1.3.1, the driver for Sql Server but the behavior remain same.

Have you tried using the official MS JDBC driver?

Might be worth a shot

Just did, but not resolved.