Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Input -> Output -> Input not working

Default Input -> Output -> Input not working

I have a Table Input step that retrieves some data.

Data is passed to an Insert/Update step. For each row inserted/updated, I want to execute another Table Input using one of the field values passed from the Insert/Update step.

<table input1> --- <insert/update> --- <table input2> --- ...

The problems?

1) When I link the Insert/Update step to a Table Input step, then right click the Input step to verify the inputs, it tells me no input fields.

<1 table input> --- <2 input/update> --- <3 table input> (no can see input fields in step 3)

2) When I run the step anyway, it is trying to map the 14 fields from the Insert/UPdate step into JDBC place holders. I only need one field from previous step

<1 table input> --- <2 input/update> --- <3 table input> (tries to find 14 JDBC placeholders in step 3, only need one))

3) Every time I try to limit the output from the Insert/Update step, it shows all fields. I remove the ones I don't want, but no impact.

<1 table input> --- <2 input/update> --- <3 table input> (can't limit the outfields from step 2)

4) If I insert a select value step between the two, the that steps does see the output from the Insert step as input, and now the Table Input step CAN see the input fields from the previous step. HOWEVR, the select value step fails as it is expecting a rowset from Insert/Update step.

<1 table input> --- <2 input/update> --- <3 select value> --- <4 table input> (everything looks right, can see the right fields in the cfg, but fails as step 3 is looking for rowset)

The goal? I am migrating a set of parent records from DB1 to DB2, then I want to use the list of ids from that parent set as input to migrate the child records as part of the stream.

Using Pentaho 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by ed4becky View Post
    HOWEVR, the select value step fails as it is expecting a rowset from Insert/Update step.
    I don't understand what you are trying to tell us here.
    If you specify the field that you want to keep in the "Select & Alter" tab, it should "just work"(tm)

Do you check the execute for each row box on Step 3 Table input?

You will need to use in Step 3 as many ? as fields coming from step 2. Use select value to remove the unneeded fields and/or change order of them.

The select value fails as noted. It is expecting a rowset?

select value fails as noted

Quote Originally Posted by ed4becky View Post
    The select value fails as noted. It is expecting a rowset?
    I don't understand what do you mean by a rowset.

All steps expects rows.

Could you provide the error you get?

Quote Originally Posted by DepButi View Post
    I don't understand what do you mean by a rowset.

All steps expects rows.

Could you provide the error you get?
    Found the issue. Inserting the "select values" was the solution but I forgot to reset the step after it to get data from the "select value" step, so it was still trying to get data from the step before that.