Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Limited Table Input

Default Limited Table Input

Please help,

The Case is i've got a external table input transformation which use postgreSQL,
    it works fine until Row 300.000.
    yes, it's stop at row 300.000.
    the log said that the connection is closed.

so the question is, is there a way around it?
    Like is it possible to make the input stop at 299.999 and continue again after a minute or something?
    or
    is it possible to use job to use 2 transformation, the first one to grab 299.999 row and second one for another 299.999 ?

thank you

If you have an ID column, you could use that to split the select.

Use a loop by having job A output the ID limits in result rows, then for job B go to "Advanced" and use the "Execute for every input row" checkbox. Then pass the ID limits in Parameters under "Stream column name".

You should better look for a limit on your PostgreSQL options. We use Table Input step with a PostgreSQL with some milion records without major problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    If you have an ID column, you could use that to split the select.

Use a loop by having job A output the ID limits in result rows, then for job B go to "Advanced" and use the "Execute for every input row" checkbox. Then pass the ID limits in Parameters under "Stream column name".
    ID Column? is it akin of rownum?

what if there's no id column?

i used to use date of entry but one of the table don't have one

Quote Originally Posted by DepButi View Post
    You should better look for a limit on your PostgreSQL options. We use Table Input step with a PostgreSQL with some milion records without major problems.
    i'm sorry but, where could i look for my PostgreSQL options?

SQL: show all

No ofense intended, but if you don't know what an ID column is, neither where to look for PostgreSQL parameters, better ask a database manager/admin to look at your database.

Quote Originally Posted by DepButi View Post
    SQL: show all

No ofense intended, but if you don't know what an ID column is, neither where to look for PostgreSQL parameters, better ask a database manager/admin to look at your database.
    Yes, thank you for answering
    no offense accepted
    i'm new to database

i'm asking the question abaout id column because at the database i'm working on the id column is not just generated number, but akin of random alphanumeric.
    and i'm working with this case in more than five table so i'm looking for an answer which i could use as a standard on how i would use it to process all.

a little confirmation please, about the PostgreSQL parameters do you mean i should change the postgresql.conf?
    well, the thing is i'm working on external database which mean i don't have an access to change the postgresql.conf.

If you get a consistent error after 300,000 rows read it means there is somewhere some parameter that limits the input rows. Most probably on PostgreSQL side ... but this is something you should check with your system people.

I'm not aware of any kettle parameter closing the connection after a specific number of rows.

As always I recommend installing a standalone Java JDBC client like SQuirreL to eliminate problems that are not related to Kettle in the first place.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.