Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Daily schedule changes its next time itself when the daylight saving time changes

Default Daily schedule changes its next time itself when the daylight saving time changes

Hi all,

Today I'm noticing that all my daily schedules in bi server (7.1) are shifted by one hour earlier. This happened just this weekend that the daylight saving time changes.

Is there a way to tell pentaho not to change the schedule time?

If I set a report schedule at 9:00 p.m daily. I want that it executes at 9:00 p.m. no matter it is summer or winter.

The bi server host linux is setup with CEST/CET (central european summer time/central european time), therefore it changes the time accordingly.

I'm answering myself. Just for the record.

After looking into the quartz database where all this stuff is saved, I found out the following:

- When you schedule a job using daily recurrence it will be saved as a simple schedule taking into account the time interval (daily = 86400000 seconds), therefore when the daylight saving time changes occurs it will be shifted one hour.

- When you schedule a job using weekly recurrence it will be saved as a calendar in the quartz5_calendars table with the data like a linux crontab and taking into account the timezone.

So, it's an implementation problem.

I ended up changing all my daily jobs to weekly jobs with all days activated.

This is a posible workaround if you need an exact scheduling time based on your local timezone. Remember not to schedule jobs between 2 am and 3 am on sundays, since this is the timegap where the daylight saving time change happens and your jobs will not be executed or will be executed twice, depending if it's the autumn change or the spring change.

It's good to know the why, and that the behaviour is different depending on the schedule. I have only daily jobs and noticed the problem in the first time-savings change, as I didn't found any solution, I just created a task in my calendar to re-schedule on every change.
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE