Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: REST Client HTTPS fail when run via Kitchen, but not through Spoon

Angry REST Client HTTPS fail when run via Kitchen, but not through Spoon

Using Pentaho PDI v6.0.1.0-386.

So i have a transformation where Im passing the GET method from a URL (SharePoint) to a REST Client to pull a XML file. Recently we shifted from HTTP to HTTPS and ive updated the java keystores to include the certificates necessary for HTTPS authentication.

The issue arises when i run the Job via Kitchen. When i run it via Spoon GUI, I don't have any issues. The transformation piece fails at the REST client portion when running via Kitchen batch job.

I've included the trust store path in Java Options

set OPT=%OPT% %PENTAHO_DI_JAVA_OPTIONS%
    "-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=%_PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME%\lib\security\cacerts"
    "-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=changeit"

Log:
    2017/10/24 14:02:59 - Table input.0 - Finished processing (I=7094, O=0, R=0, W=7094, U=0, E=0)
    2017/10/24 14:03:00 - REST Client.0 - Connecting to [https://***REDACTED***] ...
    2017/10/24 14:03:00 - [REDACTED].dwhse - Statement canceled!
    2017/10/24 14:03:00 - [REDACTED].dwhse - Statement canceled!
    2017/10/24 14:03:00 - REST Client.0 - Signaling 'output done' to 2 output rowsets.
    2017/10/24 14:03:00 - REST Client.0 - Finished processing (I=0, O=0, R=1, W=0, U=0, E=1)
    2017/10/24 14:03:00 - ReadXMLFiles - Transformation detected one or more steps with errors.
    2017/10/24 14:03:00 - ReadXMLFiles - Transformation is killing the other steps!

Im not sure what the root cause of this issue could be or where to start debugging this issue.

Ill gladly provide any details to help resolve this issue.

The first thing I would do is to build the smallest POC to analyze the problem.
    That would be a REST-Client fed by a single row of constants.
    And you should change the Kettle log level to Debug or RowLevel while you're at it.
    SSL debugging might help, too: -Djavax.net.debug=ssl
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Cool

Thanks for the tip marabu! SSL debug helped! The debug log showed that it wasnt finding a truststore. I was point it to the keystore with the certs. Upon further researching, I moved my newly created truststore file over the root of the pdi folder. Edited my java options accordingly (see below).

"-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=truststore.jks"

Re-ran the job using the kitchen. The debug log found the new truststore file and REST Client is properly authenticating the HTTPS request.