Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Files consolidation - do you have some recommendations?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Files consolidation - do you have some recommendations?

Hi,

I have a project where I need to transform input file and put it into monthly files directory (each day new file comes).
    Then each day I need to run transformation that takes all files content (original files stay) and produce one consolidated file (month file... this file will contain all day files across the month then new month new one is created). This consolidated information file will be overwritten each day.

The desired model is that users will have access only to this consolidated file where they can modify some records.
    But the problem is this file should be updated each day; appended new rows from daily files and protect old rows with information modified by users.

I'm about to abandon this idea and let people work on day files and consolidated file is just to read yet maybe you have some idea how to safely obtain the ideal model?

Regards,

G.

CSV Output and Excel file writer have "Append" options.

That doesn't add protection to the existing rows, just adds the new data without changing the existing.

I'm afraid if someone runs transformation twice then same rows will be appended again. However it can work if only some way to check if this is not second run for same file....

You could build some sort of check file logic to see if the file has already been processed, and not process it if the filename appears in the list.

I will try this way - thanks