Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: End of TNS Channel Error

Question End of TNS Channel Error

Hi,

We are connecting PDI (way old version) 4.3.0 to Oracle 11.2.0.4 (Exadata version). When there are multiple queries connected to Oracle executing via JDBC connection fails at one point with the below error,

Error occured while trying to connect to the database

Error connecting to database: (using class oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver)
    IO Error: End of TNS data channel

- which means say out of 10 connections to Oracle , one single connection briefly for a second disconnects. And yes, PDI stand alone (Unix version) sits on different server and communicating to Oracle DB server.

I have tried changing jar file versions. None of them could help. At present , we are using ojdbc6.jar and orai18n.jar for JDBC Connection
    Sathish
    Back to Pentaho

'Be the best Pearl in the ocean of wisdom'

I have a large amount of oracle experience but I am new to Pentaho.

I did some quick searches on the internet and there are not many current messages ( java --> oracle ) with similar error messages:

This makes a sense to me ( form another post)
    "the error was "TNS listener refused the connection...". it was because of not implementing connection pooling. "

Its an easy mistake to make each transformation connect and then drop their connection to DB. Especially if you use generated code form Pentaho.

Can you monitor the number of connections on the DB side? Can you monitor the SQL on DB side?

The solution from above discussion was to upgrade oracle JDBC drivers.

Is there an ORA number?

Hi,

Generally, there will be no ORA code for this, as this is not technical to Oracle. Then , Yes, Connection /Listener / Network Adapter issues are more to - if you are not able to connect to DB with firewall/network/incorrect login details.

We have checked - max number of connections in Oracle and its sufficient. We are monitoring it.

Finally, tried couple of oracle JDBC drivers too , but with no luck
    Sathish
    Back to Pentaho

'Be the best Pearl in the ocean of wisdom'