Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Using RE in integers

Default Using RE in integers

So i need to transform a field "cost" when it comes in dollars to euros, but i cant seem to find a way to use RE in integers. Is there anyway to do this or other solution for this problem ? thx

I'm failing to understand the acronym "RE" in this context... Could you explain more what you mean?

Regular Expressions, but i realized just now that's not my problem =), the value never comes in integer because it has a char $ or €. basically what i need is to find the value fields from a xml that have the $ char in the end, and convert into in euros

Actually, $42 is a string representation of a number combining a currency symbol and a monetary value.
    Usually, monetary values are stored by themselves, with a locale stored separately.
    Always try to find a primary datasource, don't rely on formatted output-only data.

If you must retrieve dollar amounts from XML (combined strings), you can provide a format string like $0.00 (if locale is en-US) or '$'0.00 (if locale isn't en-US) to extract the monetary value.
    It's not a regular expression, just a pattern to control the number parser.
    You'll end up with a Number (42) implicitly declared as USD which you can convert to EUR by multiplying with an exchange rate in step Calculator.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.