Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho reporting tool generating a empty report from kettle

Default Pentaho reporting tool generating a empty report from kettle

Hi every one,

Actually i'm trying to generate report using a .prpt file in kettle(free version/community edition only not a licensed version) but while running a transformation it is generating a empty pdf file with 0 bytes and the error message which i'm getting in kettle is:

ERROR (version 5.4.0.1-130, build 1 from 2015-06-14_12-34-55 by buildguy) : Unexpected error
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - ERROR (version 5.4.0.1-130, build 1 from 2015-06-14_12-34-55 by buildguy) : org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleException:
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - There was an unexpected error processing report 'null' to produce file 'null' with processor: PDF.
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at java.lang.Thread.run (Thread.java:748)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.RunThread.run (RunThread.java:62)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.reporting.plugin.PentahoReportingOutput.processRow (null:-1)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.reporting.plugin.PentahoReportingOutput.processReport (null:-1)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.reporting.plugin.PentahoReportingOutput.loadMasterReport (null:-1)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.di.core.vfs.KettleVFS.getFileObject (KettleVFS.java:98)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.di.core.vfs.KettleVFS.getFileObject (KettleVFS.java:102)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.di.core.vfs.KettleVFS.getFileObject (KettleVFS.java:124)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 -
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.reporting.plugin.PentahoReportingOutput.processReport(Unknown Source)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.reporting.plugin.PentahoReportingOutput.processRow(Unknown Source)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.RunThread.run(RunThread.java:62)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.di.core.vfs.KettleVFS.getFileObject(KettleVFS.java:124)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.di.core.vfs.KettleVFS.getFileObject(KettleVFS.java:102)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.di.core.vfs.KettleVFS.getFileObject(KettleVFS.java:98)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - at org.pentaho.reporting.plugin.PentahoReportingOutput.loadMasterReport(Unknown Source)
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - ... 4 more
    Pentaho Reporting Output.0 - Finished processing (I=0, O=0, R=2, W=1, U=0, E=1)
    ERROR (version 5.4.0.1-130, build 1 from 2015-06-14_12-34-55 by buildguy) : Errors detected!

I have tried all the ways by searching in google but i couldn't make it, it would be helpful to me if some one could help in fixing this.

Thanks in advance,
    Malllikarjuna.
    Last edited by mallikarjun; 11-29-2017 at 02:58 AM.

Seems like PDI is unable to find your report:
    There was an unexpected error processing report 'null' to produce file 'null' with processor: PDF.
    How are you specifying the report file name?
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE

Hi Ana,

Thanks for the reply, I made some changes in the transformation now it is not showing any error message but the empty report only generating with 0 bytes.
    I'm passing report definition and output location by using data grid to the pentaho reporting output. I'm just passing location(where to import) along with file name
    ex:- /documents/report.pdf

Many thanks,
    Mallikarjuna.

¿S.O. in the machine running PDI? Special characters in the path? It seems a problem finding the report.
    Have you tried the example of the step in the samples directory of your installation? The file is named "Pentaho Reporting Output Example.ktr". I think I had to tweak the example when learning how it worked because the path with the file names didn't worked in my S.O.
    Regards
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE

Default Same issue

I have the same trouble my KTR runs fine no error reported but the files generated are of 0 byte, any types of output file pdf, excel, csv are all always 0 bytes.
    Last edited by satyaprakashsp; 12-05-2017 at 04:39 AM.