Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Shared Dimensions across multiple fact tables in PDI

Default Shared Dimensions across multiple fact tables in PDI

I have some global dimensions tables that I want to use on multiple fact tables. Can I do this in PDI if yes please suggest the method? urgent help needed

Default Loading multiple fact tables using same dimensions

how can we load multiple fact tables in pdi using shared dimensions?

Load the the shared dimensions first. Then load the facts for each fact table.

Yes I've done this multiple times, for example dim_date and dim_time are shared. One method is to load the shared dimensions first.

I have to load in the same transformation, I mean to say the first load all dimension in the job then load fact table will it lookup for all dimension in transformation.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeelShakir View Post
    I have to load in the same transformation, I mean to say the first load all dimension in the job then load fact table will it lookup for all dimension in transformation.
    That's up to you to decide. I don't understand what you're trying to do.

You want to load multiple dimensions before loading multiple fact tables? Can you separate the tasks, loading dimensions first, then loading facts? Or do you have to do everything in one run? If you need to load all dimensions and all facts in one single run, I suggest starting with the dimensions, then split the stream into one sub-stream per fact table. Then do fact tables either in the same transformation, or if there's a lot of logic before inserting facts, send sub-streams into mapping (sub-transformation). The only bad thing I found about mapping (sub-transformation) is that it's harder to debug.