Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Dialog - prompt the user

Default Dialog - prompt the user

Hello,

Is there any trick to prompt the user (by display a dialog box) to input some value? I need them to define no of the month.

I see there is an example:

Code:
    samples/transformations/JavaScript - dialog.ktr

But do not know if this will be working in the future and maybe there is another way?
    Regards

As a software architect, I want to separate interactive and batch functionality as much as I can.

Do yourself a favor and keep interaction outside of your Kettle jobs.

A word about your future worries: The sample code you referenced just shows how to use a widget from Rhino. You will be able to use that technique for quite some time. The author (jbleuel) just wanted to spur a discussion about wether Kettle should come with dialog functionality out of the box - or not, I understand. That was in 2006 and nothing happened yet, though. Maybe the majority of Kettle users is just reasonable about interactive parameters.

IMO a better way to set parameters interactively would be to create a (shell) wrapper for your Kettle job to handle interaction.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

+1 to what marabu said. Use a Dashboard or Report to call your job or transformation, and use prompts in the Dashboard or Report to pass the parameters to Kettle.
    Regards
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE

Thank you very much for your opinions. Sounds reasonable.
    I'm learning Report Designer and already I put lot of energy in that. But even if I'am a good swimmer sometimes there are some limits. Not like here where I can get fantastic help from you - Report Designer forum is practically dead :-(

Use a Dashboard or Report

Could you please tell more? Dashboard - you mean BA server?
    Can I call some transformation from Report Designer level?

In my scenario user loads data from Excel into table. But there is no information inside what month the data are coming from. I need user to enrich imported data with this information..

Regards

In report designer, as well as creating a Dashboard en BA server, you can have a Kettle transformation as Data Input. In Report Designer, in the Data tab, when right clicking Data Sets, you can choose Pentaho Data Integration. I haven't used it myself, so I can't guide you, I don't remember a sample report using Pentaho Data Integration, maybe there's one Dashboard sample. I know there's a brief How to in Pentaho 8 Reporting for Java Developers, the book published by Francesco Corti, maybe the official documentation is enough, or you can find some blog post giving instructions.
    Regards
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE