Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Disable Steps in Transformation

Default Disable Steps in Transformation

Hi everybody,
    I have a transformation where I read from some tables, and I write to some output tables like:

Table A -> Destination Table A
    Table B -> Destination Table B
    Table C -> Destination Table C
    Table D -> Destination Table D

The steps are connected as couples, so there's currently no connection between the A Steps and the B Steps.

I'd like to test the transformation, however for some troubleshooting, I have the need to exclude the B steps and D steps from running when I run the transformation.

Is there a way to disable, "comment out", skip, some steps in a single transformation?

Many thanks in advance!

I would Cut & Paste the steps you don't want for now.

Hi marabu,
    thanks for the advice, this means there's no other way to skip steps?

I don't know. Let's wait for my mentor to shed some light on this.

You could setup a set of parameters SkipA, SkipB, SkipC, SkipD with default to "False"
    Then in your table input do:
    SELECT * from TABLEA where ( ... ) and ${SkipA}='False'
    Your DB would respond back with no rows, sending nothing to the destination table.

I see,
    indeed this looks better for my purpose, so that I can keep the Transformation intact.
    If I'll find some time I may write a plugin for this purpose.

Many thanks to both of you!

You would typically start with an input step (SELECT ... FROM A). Why not just disable the output hop from that step? The rest of the steps would receive no input rows.
    The only 'problem' with this approach is if you don't want the initial sql to be fired from the steps you disabled the output hops (maybe they do more than select or you don't want those sqls to be logged etc.).
    I guess this could cause problems if subsequent steps required some columns no longer passed from the input step. Alternatively you could just add "limit 0" to the sql of those input steps you don't want to run.
    Last edited by Sparkles; 01-18-2018 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marivol View Post
    Is there a way to disable, "comment out", skip, some steps in a single transformation?
    Click on the hop leading to the table output to disable it (will show as grey instead of black), then the table output will receive no rows to write to the database. Disable the "truncate" option in the table outputs so that they don't delete your data.

Actually there is a way to do this. Go to the marketplace and install "Data sets and unit tests for PDI". It was made specifically for this reason.
    It will allow you to create a series of unit tests, which can redirect/disable steps.