Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho and PostGreSQL / System Build to Match SQL Server SSIS/SSAS

Default Pentaho and PostGreSQL / System Build to Match SQL Server SSIS/SSAS

Hello Community, my first post, and I hope its in the correct group.

I work a lot with SQL Server SSIS/SSAS and PowerBI, and lesser so with the Oracle equivalents. I'm looking to build a lab environment that is all open source, and use Linux, Pentaho w/ various Plug-ins, and PostgreSQL as an answer to expensive engineered solutions as SQL Server and Oracle BI products.

I have looked at the chart of the Pentaho CE and EE, and it would appear that the EE server level would have the services for thing like minting a cube. So that would mean I would acquire an Linux Server OS. Does Pentaho have a Developers edition of the EE through a special program? Or can CE be made to function in a more crippled manner?

Thanks,
    Data_Geek

You can create cubes with Pentaho Schema Workbench, and publish them to Pentaho Server (CE), with Saiku running on top of that to have a web-based Slice/Dice solution.

Pretty much everything you can do with SSIS/SSAS & PowerBI can also be done with the various open source Pentaho Tools (PDI, PRD, PSW, C*Tools, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    You can create cubes with Pentaho Schema Workbench, and publish them to Pentaho Server (CE), with Saiku running on top of that to have a web-based Slice/Dice solution.

Pretty much everything you can do with SSIS/SSAS & PowerBI can also be done with the various open source Pentaho Tools (PDI, PRD, PSW, C*Tools, etc)
    Thank you for the great feedback. Does Pentaho come with it's own DB, or is it commonly supplemented with an open-source one like mongoDB? I see a lot of recent talks of people migrating from MongoDB to PostgreSQL. I presume the DB can be any SQL/NoSQL container of the data that Pentaho can ETL into, and then source for the cubes.

Out of box, it includes JDBC drivers for Postgres, but it's been programmed with DB dialects for a lot of different DBs (MS SQL, Oracle, Maria, etc)
    Anything you can get a JDBC driver for, you should be able to connect to Pentaho.