Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Database Connections

Unhappy Database Connections

Hello guys!

The problem:

I have a job with 30 transformations each with a connection (all the same connection).
    Now i have to change the password of the connection user.
    I would not like to have to change all the passwords in each transformation, however, i think it will be necessary in this case.

The doubt:
    Is there any way to avoid this in the future?

Thanks!

Hi Lucas,

Use a variable - set up in your kettle.properties file. It is then available to all transformations.

eg source_user_password=yourpassword

In you connection input, specify the variable in the field - ${source_user_password}.

I set up - host name, port, userid and password using this method. If things change - then you only have to update one place for the change to be effective.

HTH
    PDI 8.0.0
    MySQL - 5.6.27
    Redshift - 1.0.1485
    PostgreSQL 8.0.2
    OS - Ubuntu 10.04.2

Fantastic, tnewman!

It really works fine.
    Another doubt: Where is the file kettle.properties? Because i want to take this file to another pentaho folder in another machine. hehe

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by tnewman View Post
    Hi Lucas,

Use a variable - set up in your kettle.properties file. It is then available to all transformations.

eg source_user_password=yourpassword

In you connection input, specify the variable in the field - ${source_user_password}.

I set up - host name, port, userid and password using this method. If things change - then you only have to update one place for the change to be effective.

HTH

Lucas,

On my linux machine it is in the '.kettle' (maybe hidden) directory.

Thanks
    PDI 8.0.0
    MySQL - 5.6.27
    Redshift - 1.0.1485
    PostgreSQL 8.0.2
    OS - Ubuntu 10.04.2

kettle.properties lives in ~/.kettle on Linux or %USERPROFILE%\.kettle on Windows.
    That's why some people prefer adding a simple transformation at the beginning of the jobs that sets the variables -- then it doesn't become per-user setup.

Another couple of hints:
    1) You can set password variables to an obfuscated value with the utility "encr" which can be found in your PDI directory. PDI is smart enough to de-obfuscate a value that it finds that starts with Encrypted
    2) Use JNDI. While you can't control the visibility of the password, it lives in one place, and becomes a bit more like ODBC. It also makes porting your transformations (and Jobs) to PDI server a lot easier.

You can also specify the place of the .kettle directory with the KETTLE_HOME variable. Declare that in a System or User variable.
    You can also change the spoon.bat file and point the KETTLE_HOME to a specific directory where the .kettle dirictory is situated

Thanks tnewman, gutlez and johanhammink!

All your tips will be helpful.
    I will put them into practice and find out which fits best with my scenario.

Thank you again!

Gutlez,

Can you give me some example where i marked with red, please?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    kettle.properties lives in ~/.kettle on Linux or %USERPROFILE%\.kettle on Windows.
    That's why some people prefer adding a simple transformation at the beginning of the jobs that sets the variables -- then it doesn't become per-user setup.

Another couple of hints:
    1) You can set password variables to an obfuscated value with the utility "encr" which can be found in your PDI directory. PDI is smart enough to de-obfuscate a value that it finds that starts with Encrypted
    2) Use JNDI. While you can't control the visibility of the password, it lives in one place, and becomes a bit more like ODBC. It also makes porting your transformations (and Jobs) to PDI server a lot easier.

Not really able to give you an example.

Basically:
    Job
    - Transform (Set DB Vars)
    - - Data Grid (All the values that are needed for the DB: Username, Hostname, Port, etc)
    - - Set Variables
    - Transform (Do work here)

If you set the DBPassword to a variable ${DBPassword} and that variable has a value of "Encrypted ABCDEF12345789" then PDI will try to de-obfuscate the password before it tries to use it.
    If you go in to the PDI directory, there's a program called encr that you can run from the command line.
    Code:
    encr -kettle password
    will give a response of
    Code:
    Encrypted 2be98afc86aa7f2e4bb18bd63c99dbdde
    if your DB User's password is password, then setting the variable to the value above will work.