Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Is Kerberos auth Enterprise only?

Default Is Kerberos auth Enterprise only?

Saw this message "...As Kerberos authentication is an Enterprise-only feature in the Hadoop shims,..." on this ticket JIRA.

Can Matt or someone please confirm that Kettle with Kerberos can only be used on an Enterprise version.
    Just need to know as I've been trying to figure it out on Community edition.

Thanks.

anyone? is anyone able to use Kerberos (mainly for hbase and hdfs) in Community Edition?

Hi Eych,

I'm the Matt (droid) you're looking for. I wrote that comment a couple years ago, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy, but I was supporting Hadoop and PDI on a daily basis back then, so I like to imagine that I knew what I was talking about .

I'm fairly certain that Kerberos support is implemented in an EE-only plugin which is an extension of the CE "Big Data Plugin". If you download the Pentaho EE trial installer and compare the PDI directory structure, you'll definitely see more jar files and additional config file options in the EE edition of shim properties files compared to the CE edition.

All that said, I can't rule out the possibility that a CE user may have found a solution to using Kerberos with Hadoop, but I think the silence here may be telling.

I'd recommend using the EE trial on a VM to see if you're able to get Kerberos configured. I believe the installer generates a 60-day key, which should be enough to start testing the Kerberos integration.

Cheers

Thank you Matt for your response.

The crickets were tough to bare as I was hoping someone from the team could give a quick yes/no. (I figured it'd be a great up-sell opp)
    I just didn't want to waste any more time and stress trying to figure it out with CE.

I can do it via a custom jar, but was hoping the OOTB steps would be Kerberos friendly. If it's EE only, then that's the case.

Thanks again.