Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Abort Job without error if "Execute SQL Statements" fails

Default Abort Job without error if "Execute SQL Statements" fails

I've got a strange issue that I'm hoping someone can help with.
    We have many jobs scheduled concurrently that all call the same set of jobs/transformations.
    The first step, is to update a row in a queuing table. The problem is that we're getting row locking from time to time because two different jobs are trying to pick the same row in the queue (and change it's status).
    What I'd like to do is that if a row is locked (causing a SQL error: Error committing transaction: updates conflict with updates in another transaction.) that the job just abort without error.
    We are getting many rows in our /kettle/status page that shows false positive errors. I mean they're actual errors, we just don't care about them.
    If one fails, the next one will pick it up if it's not locked. Not a huge deal.
    So, is there a way to have the job abort (without) error if the SQL error occurs?
    Thanks!

Run your "Negative" path from the step you want to ignore to a "Dummy" step. Since the Dummy will exit OK, the overall Job will finish with a status of OK.

Thank you for the response, will try that and let you know if it works.

Jobs are still stepping on each other.
    Let me ask you this. Is there any way to tell the scheduler not to spawn a new job until the current one completes?

Not that I know of, but you could use a "Token File" that gets looked for at the beginning of the job - if it exists, go to dummy and end (Successfully). If it doesn't exist, create it, run the rest of the job, delete it and end (Successfully)

Ended up going with a lock file approach on the server to keep processes from stepping on each other.
    Here's the link that laid it out for me:
    http://type-exit.org/adventures-with...-a-kettle-job/
    Worked great.