Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: converting to timestamp

Default converting to timestamp

I have an input file with a date in a format that looks like this

2018-04-18-15.30.16

I need to pass that data in Transformation and convert it to Timestamp before inserting that data into Table Output.
    As you can see, that format doesn't t match the Timestamp datatype. What is the best way to convert? Use Select Value step or
    in Table Output step (there is a Sql button there.. is that when it comes to play?) Please advise.

Thank you,

Your choices are actually to convert it in the File Input step or use a select values step. Either one would work, and both support error handling.
    Table Output won't allow you to change the format to a timestamp.

The next question... Do you actually mean Timestamp (Date, Time, milleseconds), or do you mean a Date & Time?
    Once you have the data in the appropriate form (Date - which includes time; or Timestamp), the database will understand what to do with it, no further conversion is necessary.

I actually mean Timestamp (DATE, Time, Fractional seconds). The data definition for the particular field in Oracle Table is Timestamp NULL...I need to write data to that field

so... it needs to be converted before it gets to the table.

You haven't said what version of PDI you are using.

When you bring data into PDI (Text File Input...) you specify what type of data it is. In recent versions of PDI, you can specify Timestamp as a type. You then tell PDI how to interpret the string of data. (Type: Timestamp Format: yyyy-MM-dd-HH.mm.ss) Even though it still *LOOKS* wrong, it is now a Timestamp and your DB will handle it correctly.

Alternatively, in your Text File Input, you can bring the data in as a String, and then convert it with a Select Values later.

I'm using PDI 8.0

Thanks,