Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Text file output does not generate header when table input return 0 row

Default Text file output does not generate header when table input return 0 row

Hello all,

Using Kettle 4.4.0, I have a Transformation which includes: a Table input --> Text file output
    In the Text file output I have checked 'Header' in Content tab
    I expected that the output file always has header row despite of the result from 'Table input',
    but actually the header only exported when Table input returns 1 ore more rows.
    Could any one help me to always have header in the exported file.

Best,

Text-File-Output will only write a header when seeing the first data row.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Marabu is right. If you really need your header even with an empty file, you can use the Detect empty stream step, recreate your header and go to output

Thank RobinB, marabu

I tried with Detect empty stream, however beside headers it generate an empty row as well.
    Since I expect only header row in-case no data rows return I tried the following option and it works well.
    1. Add a Generate Rows step to generate header
    2. Add Prioritize Streams step to receive output from both Generate Rows step (1st) and Table input step (2nd)
    3. Text file output receives output of Prioritize Streams to generate csv file (since header row are manually generated, i leave option Header of Text file output un-checked)

Many thanks for your help.
    Name:  CVSHeaders.gif
Views: 1958
Size:  6.6 KB

Your solution will only work if all columns are string. If they are not, PDI will complain that the field layout is not the same.

it is lucky that my data is all string and exported csv file does not require any special format.
    Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    Your solution will only work if all columns are string. If they are not, PDI will complain that the field layout is not the same.

Hello All,

Me too have same issue. I am using a metadata injection step to export table data to text files.
    I used "Detect empty stream" step earlier to export empty tables but it adding a empty row as well.

Am looking for solution to write file with only Header if table has no data. I have multiple files to write dynamically.

Can anybody help me with this. Thanks.

Default headers with no input row

Quote Originally Posted by chetanchavan1126 View Post
    Hello All,

Me too have same issue. I am using a metadata injection step to export table data to text files.
    I used "Detect empty stream" step earlier to export empty tables but it adding a empty row as well.

Am looking for solution to write file with only Header if table has no data. I have multiple files to write dynamically.

Can anybody help me with this. Thanks.

Did anyone got a solution for this?
    Regards,
    Dileep
    Mail ID