Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Dynamic Update

Default Dynamic Update

I have a file which has 150000 update statements. what is the best way to execute it considering the performance and other factors in mind.

I tried Execute Sql Script which is pretty slow. for 30000 records it took 75 mins.

Sample as below

update table1 set f1='n',f2='Harris',f3='Newyork' where id='ID1';
    update table1 set f2='n',f3='US',f4='Newyork' where id='ID2';
    update table1 set f1='n',f3='23456',f6='atlanta' where id='ID3';
    update table1 set f3='n',f6='citizen',f10='florida' where id='ID4';
    Please advise.

The more PDI-style way to do this would be to have an input file with the id value in one column and the update values in other columns, read that in a Text file input step, and then feed that to an Update step. It looks like your updates are a bit irregular - in one of them, you update f1, f2 and f3, in another f2, f3 and f4, etc., so the PDI-style way might not work for you.

If you have to run this as a script, how much faster would it be if you put a "BEGIN TRANSACTION;" line at the beginning of the script file, and then add a "COMMIT TRANSACTION;" line at the end? Reducing the commit frequency might help.

It would be better if you enable "transactional" connection. I don't have a new version so not sure how this is done on job level, but it can be done a transformation in the properties (Ctrl+T) under Miscellaneous tab. If you enable batch updates as well (you can add connection variables in the connection menu), it may be even faster?

Thanks for the reply robj.

If you have to run this as a script, how much faster would it be if you put a "BEGIN TRANSACTION;" line at the beginning of the script file, and then add a "COMMIT TRANSACTION;" line at the end? Reducing the commit frequency might help.

Do I need to add this in Execute SQL Script?

Thanks for the inputs Sparkles.
    I am using Pentaho 7.1. Could you please let me know where I can find this?
    If you enable batch updates as well (you can add connection variables in the connection menu)

I think it depends on which database you use. If you go to "View" tab in spoon, expand Database connections and double-click on the one you use, then you get a "Database Connection" pop-up window. Navigate to "Options" where you can insert values like "Parameter" and "Value". For mysql, this would be "rewriteBatchedStatements" and "true". However this may only work if you have a step that includes a checkbox like "Use batch updates?", for example in the "Update" output step for transformations. You would also have to check the database sql log to confirm queries are re-written. This may only work if the transformation is not transactional.

No, I would add the "BEGIN TRANSACTION;" line to the beginning of your script file, and the "COMMIT TRANSACTION;" line to the end of your script file, and then specify that script file in a SQL step in a Job.

Were you trying to copy/paste all of the update statements into an Execute SQL Script step inside a Transformation? I would prefer the SQL step in a Job over that.

Quote Originally Posted by harrisakbar.sm View Post
    Thanks for the reply robj.

Do I need to add this in Execute SQL Script?

indexing is not proper
    Thanks & Regards
    Karan Arora

What indexing?