Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: 8.1: Call Mapping using parameters in Transformationpath

Question 8.1: Call Mapping using parameters in Transformationpath

When trying to upgrade from PDI 8.0 to 8.1, I encountered a problem.
    In our repository, some Mappings are called dynamically using parameters (e.g. "${location}/${type}Mapping").
    With PDI 8.1 I get the error "No valid mapping was specified!".

So I logged out from the repo and built a small demo (see attachments):
    I added some paramters and tried to call one Mapping four different ways, but only the "hardcoded" one could be found.
    As you can see, the call with two parametes gets resolved in the tooltip. Am I doing somethin wrong, or ist this a bug?

Another funny thing is, when being connected to the repo and using a single parameter, PDI adds a leading "/" to the field after closing the dialog, resulting in an error opening and closing it afterwards.
    R2-PDI | PDI CE 8.0.0.0-28 | MySQL Connector/J 5.1.46 | Rhino 1.7.9
    @development: ubuntu 18.10 (x64) | Oracle Java 1.8.0_192 | Percona 5.7.24-27-1 | Elasticsearch 6.5.4
    @processing: Debian 8.8 (x64) | Oracle Java 1.8.0_191 | Percona 5.7.23-25-1 | Elasticsearch 6.3.1

Quote Originally Posted by R2-G2 View Post
    When trying to upgrade from PDI 8.0 to 8.1, I encountered a problem.
    In our repository, some Mappings are called dynamically using parameters (e.g. "${location}/${type}Mapping").
    With PDI 8.1 I get the error "No valid mapping was specified!".

So I logged out from the repo and built a small demo (see attachments):
    I added some paramters and tried to call one Mapping four different ways, but only the "hardcoded" one could be found.
    As you can see, the call with two parametes gets resolved in the tooltip. Am I doing somethin wrong, or ist this a bug?

Another funny thing is, when being connected to the repo and using a single parameter, PDI adds a leading "/" to the field after closing the dialog, resulting in an error opening and closing it afterwards.
    These problems you are having are bugs. For whatever progress was made in 8.1, parameter passing in transform executors, mappers, job executors both in transforms and jobs is shaky.
    The release that I have the most confidence in right now is 7.1.0.7 (not after that point release). 8.0 has the problem, 8.1 has the problem. The current patch just released yesterday does not fix the issue either; so even EE customers are jammed up at least another month.

https://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-17303
    https://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-17086
    https://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-17248

These are marked as resolved, but I don't see the commits yet. Perhaps they will be cherry picked from a branch I missed. If we are lucky we can pull, build and transplant them in our software.

Thanks for sharing these issues. It's good to know that it is not my fault at all. ;-)

For us, PDI CE 8.0.0.0-28 works, it its just the 8.1 release causing trouble.

I think we should also consider building the package ourself for testing purposes.
    R2-PDI | PDI CE 8.0.0.0-28 | MySQL Connector/J 5.1.46 | Rhino 1.7.9
    @development: ubuntu 18.10 (x64) | Oracle Java 1.8.0_192 | Percona 5.7.24-27-1 | Elasticsearch 6.5.4
    @processing: Debian 8.8 (x64) | Oracle Java 1.8.0_191 | Percona 5.7.23-25-1 | Elasticsearch 6.3.1