Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: LDAP connection timeout setting (pooling)

Default LDAP connection timeout setting (pooling)

I'm having intermittent problems connecting to an LDAP server (an AD server). I have a PDI job scheduled to run via cron that will randomly fail to connect to the repository because of authentication failure. Here's the relevant log output from pentaho.log.

2018-07-01 00:51:45,173 DEBUG [org.springframework.security.ldap.authentication.BindAuthenticator] (LoggingInterceptor) Exception: org.springframework.ldap.ServiceUnavailableException: 10.40.4.5:389; socket closed; nested exception is javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException: 10.40.4.5:389; socket closed; remaining name 'ou=Users,ou=PBZINC,dc=pbzinc,dc=loc'
    I did some TCP packet inspection using Wireshark. It appears that [sometimes] BI Server is leaving the LDAP connection open (no unbindRequest) for reuse, but Active Directory kills inactive LDAP sessions after 15min. (the MaxConnIdleTime setting) . When BI Server sends an LDAP searchRequest command without first issuing a bindRequest command there is no response from the AD server if it's a timed out connection on AD.

Is there a timeout configuration setting that can close these "pooled" LDAP connections on BI Server? Or can LDAP pooling be turned off?

I'm on version 8.0 BI Server. Just to clarify, LDAP authentication is working otherwise.

Solved!

Found information for a solution here https://docs.spring.io/spring-ldap/d...iguration.html. Excerpt below...
    8.1.4. Native Java LDAP Pooling
    The internal Java LDAP provider provides some very basic pooling capabilities. This LDAP connection pooling can be turned on/off using the pooled flag on AbstractContextSource. The default value is false (since release 1.3), i.e. the native Java LDAP pooling will be turned on.

In the applicationContext-spring-security-ldap.xml I looked for the bean named contextSource and added the following property line.
    Code:
    <property name="pooled" value="false"/>