Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux without VNC viewer

Default Linux without VNC viewer

Hi Sir,Madam,

we are starting to work on Linux machine and our management is not interstead to provide VNC viewer. in this case how can we implement our jobs or transformations.

without GUI in Linux machine, how can we move further.

Could you please provide your suggestions if we have other chances to work..

Thanks for your support.

Pentaho Server doesn't require a GUI, so you can simply SSH to the Linux server and run your commands from there, and use the User Console to interact with the scheduling of the jobs.
    Similarly, I've run PDI jobs from cron (calling pan and kitchen) running headless (ie. No screen, no keyboard attached to the computer) that were scheduled via ssh.

Thank you gutlez.

not sure how to explain my issue in a better way, let me try in this way.

We are using community edition release version as pdi-ce-6.1.0.1-196 and file based repository in windows machine in AWS cloud EC2 instance

but now my management is decided to move all assets to linux box to optimize the cost. so i am assuming we are not using Pentaho Server, please correct me if i am wrong.

so there is no scope as like you are doing work activity.

Thanks for your support
    Santhi

Why can't you install Pentaho Server on the linux box? Or at least install pdi-ce in the linux box and then move your transformations and jobs to the file system and schedule jobs and transformations with cron calling pan and kitchen as @gutlez has sugested?
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE

Quote Originally Posted by santhi View Post

so there is no scope as like you are doing work activity.
    If you read what I wrote carefully, you will see that you can install PDI-CE on a Linux box that does not have a GUI
    You can then run your jobs/Transforms using Kitchen and Pan. If you want to get a little bit more fancy, you can schedule the jobs using cron.

All of this can be done from the Linux command line. If you don't have a screen connected to the Linux box, then you'll need to use SSH (PuTTY) to connect to it.

Yes i understand sir.

We can run jobs and transformations, i am just trying to develop all my work activity in linux box without vnc viewer. are you saying this is also possible right? without any risk factor.

If what you are asking is if you'll be able to create and modify the jobs and transformations in the linux box without a GUI (still not sure if that's what you are asking, you are not being clear on what is your concern), then no, you need to also install PDI in your PC to create them, and once they are working as they should, you upload them to the linux box to just run them.

It is possible to work everything in the linux box without a GUI, but then you have to install in the linux box the Pentaho Server, and configure it to work with WebSpoon, so you connect via web to the Linux box and create your jobs and transformations using a browser. I haven't done this, but I have seen someone comment that they are working completely with WebSpoon with no problems.
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE

as per sources available we can work without VNC viewer if we install Cygwin64 in our machines.

Quote Originally Posted by santhi View Post
    as per sources available we can work without VNC viewer if we install Cygwin64 in our machines.
    You're still trying to run spoon on the server.

DON'T.

Do your development on another machine. Upload the files. Run them using Pan/Kitchen.

I agree completely. Develop on a develop machine. Run production on production machine.