Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Write sorted rows output into multiple excel files

Default Write sorted rows output into multiple excel files

Hi

I have a transformation, which sorts data in ascending order based on multiple fields.
    Now while writing these rows into excel output file, I want to create 3 output excel files. Rows should be evenly distributed in all 3 output excel files.
    Rows should be in sorted order in these output files.

Please help!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ajinkya View Post
    Hi

I have a transformation, which sorts data in ascending order based on multiple fields.
    Now while writing these rows into excel output file, I want to create 3 output excel files. Rows should be evenly distributed in all 3 output excel files.
    Rows should be in sorted order in these output files.

Please help!!

Thanks
    If I understand the excel output steps correctly, they only support file name reference as static value or variable. So you can't insert a file name field into the stream.

If this assumption is correct, I suggest duplicating the excel output step so you have 3 of them in total. Then insert the file names as you wish in each one, either as a static value or a variable that can be set outside the transformation.

1) Sort rows, set output stream to "round-robin" which means distribute. You can see the data-movement on the hops between steps. A normal line means "round-robin" (distribute), while step that copies the stream to all outgoing hops have a specific icon on the hop. Right-click the step, go to "Data-movement..." and switch between "Round-robin" and "Copy data to next steps" to see the difference.
    2) Send one hop from sort rows step to each of the excel output steps.

Done!

would distributing output stream from sort step to 3 excel output steps work? I think this will not write the records in sorted order in the output excel files.
    I want the data written in all the 3 files to be in sorted form. For example: excel output file 1 will have data say from A to H, excel output file 2 will have data from I to P and third file will have Q to Z.

Ok, according to that specification, no it will not work. It would be sorted, but it would be sorted like this:

file 1) A, D, G
    file 2) B, E, H
    file 3) C, F, I

However according to your latest post, you want them sorted like this:

file 1) A, B ,C
    file 2) D, E, F
    file 3) G, H, I

This is also possible, but it would require a different and more technical approach. You would need to count all rows so you know where to split. Then you would need to add a field in each row with the batch number (1,2,3). Then you would need a switch / case to split the stream to each separate excel output accordingly.