Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Find characters in a list

Default Find characters in a list

Hello.

I have a issue that I can't solve.

I have the field like a image, that I return the values W, T, @, CH or SAC.

So, I need to check if this values are in the 4 or 5 firts characters, but I don't have a pattern in my field.

https://i.ibb.co/SxstqgG/lista-obs.png

Can anyone help me?

How many lines are you hoping to push through it in a run?
    How often will you be running the data?

How often will the characters that you're testing change?
    How often will the number of characters you're looking in change?

You could:
    Strings Cut into new field (TestChars) Chars 0- 4
    Filter Rows where TestChars contains W or TestChars contains T or TestChars contains @ or TestChars contains CH or TestChars contains SAC

If you need to populate a Flag field (Chars Found) you can route both the True and the False to "Add Constants" steps (two of them!) to add your "True" and "False" flags and then merge the streams back together.

This should be a pretty performant path, but better options might exist (Formula step, UDJC, etc)

In the first run, I hope import a sheet with 200.000 lines from the past. After that I will import 20.000 daily.

Each price quote has a entry (OBSERVACAO) with a long text filled by users. This field that can be information about source (W - Whatsapp, T - Telephone, @ - e-mail, CH - chat and SAC) and return this, or can don't have this information and have another information that I need return null.

I will try this method, but if I flag the true rows, I still need return the source information.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    This should be a pretty performant path, but better options might exist (Formula step, UDJC, etc)
    A little side-note: I found the Formula step to give poor performance on big data. Not sure if this was because I'm using an older version or perhaps the formula I used was long/complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by thiagofred View Post
    I still need return the source information.
    So... What if some creative type enters W@TCH as the first 5 characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    A little side-note: I found the Formula step to give poor performance on big data. Not sure if this was because I'm using an older version or perhaps the formula I used was long/complicated.
    Which sense of big data do you mean?
    Formula can be pretty slow if you're doing string searches in a very long field, but as far as I've experienced (note: I only really go up to the 100K rows level), it's fairly efficient. UDJC is more efficient, but takes longer to develop and takes more work to maintain. The balancing act is cost (in minutes) per run vs cost (in minutes) of development/maintenance.

I don't remember exactly cause I had to discard it, but it was some simple mathematical expression with rounding. A Calculator step was not useful here because it was the sort of calculation which consisted of 4-5 smaller calculations. I'm dealing with much more than 100k rows though, and once the Formula was replaced, there was a significant boost in speed.