Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Variable setting for Mail step works in Spoon, not in kitchen

Default Variable setting for Mail step works in Spoon, not in kitchen

Hello,

I am on Pentaho 7. I have used variables quite heavily before. I have a batch of emails that need to be sent when certain things happen and I wanted to use the Mail Job step to send these emails out. The Mail Job step is quite nice because you can insert variables throughout the text in the Email message (essentially pulling data directly from the database).

My problem:
    Works fine when I run from Spoon on my Windows machine.
    When I push it out to my Pentaho Linux box, the variables aren't taking. I have set a bunch of validation checks along the way and have found none of my variables are getting set.

My structure:
    I have one master job that decides which people get to be emailed, they get pitched into the "email" job one by one. My first step in the email job is to set the variables for the email step itself.

Anyone had a similar experience or able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Dustin

Where are the variables originating from? You need to log the variables step by step. Start with where it's created and move your way up to the destination.

My variables originate in a transformation from a Table Input step. They are being set from data in a database. They don't get up to the job when I run in kitchen. I have a simple evaluation step that emails me if they aren't set. I have also tried adding another "sub-job" to send the emails, the variables also don't get down to the sub-job when run in kitchen (both scenarios work in spoon). I have the variables setup with the "valid in root job" option.

The "problem" with Spoon is variables can sometimes live between executions and transfer between different jobs/transformations. If you want to test in Spoon, you need to close and re-open Spoon first. Every time you want to test those variables in spoon, you need to close the program and re-open again. Otherwise you have no guarantee the variables you see are not left-overs from a previous execution. You need to somehow isolate this problem, either by investigating exactly where the variable exists (for example verify the variable value exists in a field before being exported to variable). You can also try to make a test program just to make sure that you're able to export a variable. Can you make a test program first, which simply creates a single variable, send it to parent job and then log this variable in the parent job?