Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: copy files(images) from one machine to another machine

Default copy files(images) from one machine to another machine

Hi All,

How can we copy files(images) from one machine to another machine.Please give me one example for Getting files from a remote server .

Thanks in advance,
    Janu

Do you need to use a specific protocol? FTP/SFTP is enough? Is one of the machines the one with Pentaho Data Integration installed or are both machines remote machines? Take a look to job steps under File Transfer.
    Regards
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE

Thank you so much Ana GH for quick response.

Both machines are remote machines. PDI installed in one machine(Windows OS),image files are available in another machine(Windows OS). So we need to copy that files to PDI installed machine.

Please help me on this.

Could you please help me on variable details what we need to give.I am not sure about proxy details.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  25.0 KB

I have tried with out proxy details, but got a error message.please take a look into following image.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  25.8 KB

Thank you,
    Janu
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jahnavi; 06-17-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Copying files from one Remote Windows machine to another Remote Windows machine (relative to PDI) is not really a good use of PDI.

Note: You would need to have an FTP or SFTP service installed an running on EACH of those remote machines. The "Connection timed out" message indicates that either the service is not running on that remote machine, or you have firewalls blocking the connection.

PDI is best used to automate a process that you have already worked out.

Thanks Gutlez,

I have installed FTP services and connected(PFA: below image). But I am not sure how to give remote directory path.

Please suggest me how to read remote machine directories(Windows).

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  24.8 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  25.4 KB

Thank you,
    Janu

Your questions are about how FTP works, not about Pentaho, maybe installing a GUI tool for FTP like Filezilla would help, so you can navigate the directories to answer your own question. Once you know the exact path where your files are, and are able to FTP your files using Filezilla, you can use Pentaho to program the automatic execution of the FTP.
    Regards
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE

Also a security note: FTP is not secure. You can compromise the entire machine by leaving an FTP port open on the internet.

This forum is not really about system architecture, but about PDI and how to use it.
    Your questions are about FTP, and basic internet functionality.