Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Changing the way duplicate user imports are handled - what do you think?

gmoran Guest

Question Changing the way duplicate user imports are handled - what do you think?

Right now, if a user has an account in more than one of our forums (for example, gmoran in the Pentaho forums, and gmoran in the Mondrian forums), vBulletin prepends the username with imported_ and moves along. If there are three gmorans, then we end up with two imported_gmoran accounts. Not so smart.

So dmoran gave me an idea - what if we change the scripts to append the project name instead of imported_ when it finds a duplicate? This resolves the third user problem, and it gives us the added benefit of knowing where each id came from - which we do know anyway because the users are grouped by project - Kettle Group, Mondrian Group, etc. But it would be clearer to a user who believes they might have more than one user account too.

Do you think this would be easier to explain, and easier for our users to understand, than our current explanation of imported user accounts ?

Let me know what you think, I'll change the scripts and the FAQ if we think this is the way to go. For the record, I like it.

Sure, this would be good. At least this way users get a clearer idea where their account came from. I've heard rumors that there are users out there who use different passwords on each account - and they would have been exposed to a password guessing game with the old method ..