Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Forum Bugs: Image tag and sort order

Angry Forum Bugs: Image tag and sort order

It seems that the Img-Tag is not working properly.

In my last post, I followed the manual but still, all I get is a stupid link. Maybe it is not allowed to link to attachments, but then - why should we allow image-attachments if we cant use them in the post ...

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=25563

Second: The sort order in the forum view is not preserved. At the moment, posts are sorted by their last-post-date in ascending order. This way new posts end up at the end of the list - and once we have a few thousands of them this becomes really nasty. Usually I dont care about the historical posts, so the sort order should be descending instead ..

gmoran Guest

Thomas,

If I understand you correctly, you want an inline image in the post? Because the image you attached to in your other thread shows up fine when you click the link, and a thumbnail is displayed inline.

I can see where one would want inline images - do I hear anyone out here second that? I will make it so unless there are huge objections.

And the sort order on most of the forums was set to newer first, I mus thave missed this one. I will change it. Thomas, I think you can override the default sort settings on any of these forums in your profile under User CP, but I haven't had time to verify that. I will look into it if I get back to it, or possibly you could tell me if I'm wrong?

kind regards,
    -G

Default I second it.

I'd like to see inline images.

phart Guest

Smile I see inline images

Pentaho Logo should be above

-editing post for a javascript error test-
    Last edited by phart; 12-08-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Yes, ordinary images stored elsewhere work.

But if I want inline images I would have to store the images for my post elsewhere - which is stupid as we have the ability to upload the images to the forum itself. So I want to see *attached* images as inline images as well (at the moment it seems, that there's some filtering done by the forum-software so that attachments are printed as URLs ..)

gmoran Guest

Default testing inline images

I'm testing attaching an image for inline display.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sweet picture

but still: The original post here :
    http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=25563

has the attached image at the bottom. (Ok, if it is *also* shown there, thats fine. But imagine a longer post where your text refers to the images (imagine a Kettle-Transformation screenshot, a report etc.). In the current system, all these images appear as footnotes, they are not in the text where the poster wanted them to appear.

[img]http://forums.pentaho.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2&stc=1&d=1165241072[/url]

That link should be an image, so that if I write a long explaination about what one would see in that image, users wont have to scroll down, especially if I post more than one image showing some proression (again: Imagine a simple Kettle-Transformation-screeenshot where new steps get added on every image or certain details get highlighted ...)

(Sorry for babbeling, I needed some content for the second paragraph )

gmoran Guest

Default New Test

OK, Now I understand Thomas, and thats a good point. Like if you are doing a how-to and have images at each step. I can see why that won't work, the way vbulletin handles attachments.

It looks like in this particular case, where the placement of the images within blocks of text is relevant, we would Have to reference a URL to the image. But would it work to reference the URL to the attachment stored with the post? Let's see -

And I can write somme more text down here. Now that is a major kludge, but it does serem to work. So basically, you would attach your files, then go back and edit the post by placing the URLs to the images you just attached in the locations in the post where you want them.

Not optimal, I agree. I will post this little issue with vBulletin SUpport and see what they say about it.

kind regards,
    -G

gmoran Guest

OK, so it works when you are the WYSIWYG editor, but NOT after the post is saved?? Crummy. So, do other image URLs show up inline?

And some text here???

gmoran Guest

OK, bottom line is that vBulletin does not support the REAL inine images stored in the forum as Thomas would have hoped. The only way to get the real inline imaging is to refer to a remote image URL. I will post amerssage to vBulletin support and see if they have had requests about this.

kind regards,
    -G

gmoran Guest

I've filed a feature request with vBulletin for this functionality.

kind regards,
    -G

gmoran Guest

Default images inline with text

Here is text one.

Name:  Pentaho Logo.gif
Views: 24
Size:  5.2 KB

Here is text two.

Name:  anthony.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  12.6 KB

Here is text three.

Name:  doug.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  10.9 KB

Here is text4.

Name:  pentaho_dev.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  46.7 KB

This is done with the magic of the paperclip button on the WYSIWYG editor's toolbar. Use it to FIRST attach all of your images. Then go back and use the same paperclip button to select the image that you want in a specific location within the text!!

All for you, Thomas!