Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Enhydra Octopus?

Default Re:Why Enhydra Octopus?

Actually, Kettle is 100% meta-data driven.

You can create transformation by designing them using a GUI.
    You can also program them. Look at this page for a simple example on how to program a transformation :

http://www.kettle.be/en/api.htm

If you have any questions about this, just ask.

You say you would like to support any ETL engine and I applaud you for that. It certainly seems the best strategy.
    However, is there anything that the ETL part can do to better integrate with the reporting engine/metadata?

I was thinking along the lines of a data model extractor based upon the transformations in the ETL. Kettle also has functionality to backtrack the origin of (calculated) fields in tables. However, is that kind of information something you can use? There is this question of interfacing, etc. Many questions, but I'm sure they can all be answered over time ;-)

Cheers,

Matt

jdixon Guest

Matt,

On the topic of metadata I would say that support for JMI and the standard MOF metamodels under the CWM (including the OLAP and data mining models) would be the way to start. Lots of people have already agreed on metadata models and APIs, why start from scratch?

If you are interested in writing a component for the Pentaho platform that executes an existing Kettle transformation then Kettle will be the premier (and only) ETL tool supported by Pentaho. The API is quite easy if you subclass org.pentaho.component.ComponentBase and there are lots of sample components. Pentaho will instantly provide web services, workflow integration, scheduling, auditing etc for Kettle.

James

> why start from scratch?

CWM in particular and XML in general are interfaces. For me, that's as far as it goes. My impression when I started with Kettle was that CWM would hinder the development because of the sheer complexity of that standard. It certainly would have been a lot less pleasant to develop with.
    So that would be a reason to start from scratch. ;-)

But again, I see XML as an interface that can operate independently from "native" meta-data and in the future it would probably not be all too hard to make a converter.

>API is quite easy if you subclass org.pentaho.component.ComponentBase and there are lots of sample

Great! I'll take a look at ComponentBase and start linking.
    I should have a little bit of time available over the weekend ;-)

Matt

MattCasters wrote:

Great! I'll take a look at ComponentBase and start linking.
    I should have a little bit of time available over the weekend ;-)
    Have you made any progress on this?

A KettleComponent has been written by James Dixon and myself. (mostly James ;-))
    It's proof of concept but allows a transformation from a repository to be executed. More work lies ahead though...

With a little patience, tender loving and care we'll eventually get there ...

;-)

Matt

I would very much like to have a look at it, I was about to write a component myself.

Are you using the kettle.pan class to run the transformation?

No, the class that allows a transformation metadata (TransMeta) to be executed is simply called Trans. Methods are available like execute(), etc.
    Perhaps James can post the source, I don't have the final version with me, sorry about that.

Regards,
    Matt