Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Where do I go?

Default Where do I go?

I hope someone can help me. I am hopelessly new to Eclipse, BIRT, Pentaho (I guess everybody is new to Pentaho!) and in fact Java.

We've been developing our backend data warehouse with the intension to use Microsoft's SQL Server Reporting Services. When time came to start doing the reports and data mining we did some research again to see what has become available as an alternative to MS. And lo and behold we stumbled upon Pentaho and summarily decided to adopt it instead. Al that functionality tied together and for free! Amazing!!!

I am responsible for getting a couple of reports out on the Pentaho platform as soon as possible. We can't release our product without reports and data analysis tools!

I've got a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.

1. How far are the reporting and analysis modules of Pentaho from stable enough - if not already - to be used in a production environment?
    2. What files do I have to replace to get to my own welcome page in a browser if I enter the URL http://servername:8080/pentaho? I want something similar to the demo but with my own styles, icons, and links to my own reports etc.
    3. How do I achieve the following: I have a report that takes a department number as an input filter. The user must be able to select for which department to run the report by selecting a department from a combo box that is populated by a database query AT RUNTIME. I posted this issue on the BIRT newsgroup and got the following response from Jason Weathersby:
    “Currently BIRT doesn't support a dynamic combo box. The box has to be pre-populated at design time. That said you could still build a JSP page that does this and then calls the report url with the parameter as part of that url.

So define your query with a ? for your dataset parameter. Define a report parameter and a dataset parameter. On the table that uses this dataset bind the dataset parameter to the report parameter. After you have deployed the report call the url for the report and add your parameter as part of the url.

No the question is, can Pentaho do this for me?

jdixon Guest

Default Re:Where do I go?

1. How far are the reporting and analysis modules of Pentaho from stable enough - if not already - to be used in a production environment?

The functionality that is currently available is stable. We use regression testing tools to ensure features are stable. We can provide you with services if you need and have support plans as well.

2. What files do I have to replace to get to my own welcome page in a browser if I enter the URL http://servername:8080/pentaho? I want something similar to the demo but with my own styles, icons, and links to my own reports etc.

If you want to start with our Pre-Configured Installation and customize it from there:
    * The styles and icons etc are in pentaho-demo/jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho-style.war
    * You can add your own links to your own pages by adding .url files to the pentaho-solutions folders

3. How do I achieve the following: I have a report that takes a department number as an input
    filter. The user must be able to select for which department to run the report by selecting a
    department from a combo box that is populated by a database query AT RUNTIME. I posted this issue on
    the BIRT newsgroup and got the following response from Jason Weathersby:
    “Currently BIRT doesn't support a dynamic combo box. The box has to be pre-populated at design
    time. That said you could still build a JSP page that does this and then calls the report url with
    the parameter as part of that url. So define your query with a ? for your dataset parameter. Define a report parameter and a dataset
    parameter. On the table that uses this dataset bind the dataset parameter to the report parameter.
    After you have deployed the report call the url for the report and add your parameter as part of the
    url.

No the question is, can Pentaho do this for me?

Our next stable build release (probably next week) will have this functionality included. You will be able to specify one or more queries to run when a user session is created. So a query can use the user name to get a filtered list of departments. You can then specify in your report action files when to use the department filter as a selection list and for validating security.

Default Re:Where do I go?

Hello James,

I've had a quick look at the reporting samples in the latest release (25 Sept) but they look the same to me as the previous version's, except for the internationalization.

I am still very interested to know how to present to the user report parameter lookups (combo's etc.) that are populated from a database query (e.g. a list of departments, users, etc.). You said earlier that this should be possible in this release. Has this feature made it into the release? An example would be great. I'm using the BIRT component.

Also, how can I specify ONE datasource for use in all my BIRT reports. I cannot edit every report definition with the respective datasource connection parameters at each client I deploy! As far as I know BIRT doesn't support a common datasource across reports yet. Is there a workaround in Pentaho for this. Is this where JNDI comes in? Again, an example would be great.

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Gerhard Wessels