Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Trouble running on Websphere 6

Default Trouble running on Websphere 6

Hello,

I have had success installing pentaho.war on Websphere 6 and setting up the demo on my PC was a breeze. I created a BIRT report from scratch as well as modified one of the samples to use out DB2 database however, when I try to run either report I get the following error.

This error occurs when I try to run a report on our Websphere 6 server on the iSeries and I get the exact same error when I try to run the reports from my Websphere development client on my PC.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

The following exception was logged java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: initStandardObjects (Lorg/mozilla/javascript/Context;Z)V
    at java.lang.Throwable.(Throwable.java:195)
    at java.lang.Error.(Error.java:49)
    at java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError.(IncompatibleClassChangeError.java:36)
    at java.lang.NoSuchMethodError.(NoSuchMethodError.java:39)
    at org.eclipse.birt.core.script.ScriptContext.(ScriptContext.java:80)
    at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.executor.ExecutionContext.(ExecutionContext.java:163)
    at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.EngineTask.(EngineTask.java:82)
    at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.RunAndRenderTask.(RunAndRenderTask.java:68)
    at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineHelper.createRunAndRenderTask(ReportEngineHelper.java:162)
    at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.ReportEngine.createRunAndRenderTask(ReportEngine.java:265)
    at org.pentaho.birt.BIRTReportComponent.executeAction(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.component.ComponentBase.execute(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeComponent(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeAction(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeLoop(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeSequence(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.runtime.RuntimeContext.executeSequence(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.solution.SolutionEngine.execute(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.services.BaseRequestHandler.handleActionRequest(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.ui.servlet.ViewAction.doGet(Unknown Source)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:743)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:1212)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:629)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.handleRequest(WebApp.java:2841)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebGroup.handleRequest(WebGroup.java:220)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.VirtualHost.handleRequest(VirtualHost.java:204)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WebContainer.handleRequest(WebContainer.java:1681)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.channel.WCChannelLink.ready(WCChannelLink.java:77)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLink.handleDiscrimination(HttpInboundLink.java:421)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLink.handleNewInformation(HttpInboundLink.java:367)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLink.ready(HttpInboundLink.java:276)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.NewConnectionInitialReadCallback.sendToDiscriminaters(NewConnectionInitialReadCallback.java:201)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.NewConnectionInitialReadCallback.complete(NewConnectionInitialReadCallback.java:103)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.requestComplete(WorkQueueManager.java:548)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.attemptIO(WorkQueueManager.java:601)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.workerRun(WorkQueueManager.java:934)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager$Worker.run(WorkQueueManager.java:1021)
    at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1309)

[28/10/05 11:32:56:091 EDT] 0000007f RuntimeContex E f55ce21e-47c7-11da-b3fa-f5a9e3ff3686:RUNTIME:context--756829562-1130513511925:sarahs_report.action.xml RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - ActionDefinition for org.pentaho.birt.BIRTReportComponent did not execute successfully
    [28/10/05 11:32:56:161 EDT] 0000007f SolutionEngin E f55ce21e-47c7-11da-b3fa-f5a9e3ff3686:SOLUTION-ENGINE: sarahs_report.action.xmlSolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed

Default Re:Trouble running on Websphere 6

Probably should have posted this in the Reporting Tools forum but either way, does anyone out there at Pentaho have any ideas regarding this error? I've noticed that most posts to this forum are followed up by someone from Pentaho in a very timely manner.

I have also had success getting a Jasper Report to run however, I am more interested in getting a BIRT report to run since the BIRT report designer integrates so well with our developer's Websphere development clients.

Please, any insight would be greatly appreciated. I've got one more day to evaluate this product.

Thank you!

Sorry for the delay in responding to you - we don't have much experience with Websphere.

I looked at the stack trace and the Eclipse BIRT source code to try to determine the problem. It seems to be due to an incompatibility in the version of js.jar (Mozilla Rhino). From what I can tell, the js.jar that Eclipse BIRT requires can't be found in the one that Websphere seems to be providing. I'd check the classpath to see if Websphere is finding a different version of the .jar file.

If you only have a few days to evaluate the functionality of the platform, I'd look at evaluating the pre-configured install. This would let you evaluate the capabilities of the platform in a known-stable environment before making the decision to port the deployment to Websphere. That's my $0.02 anyway.

Eclipse BIRT is a reasonable choice considering your environment. We've encountered other portability issues with the tool - specifically in Orion AS. It simply doesn't work there. There may be other Websphere-specific issues with Eclipse BIRT that frustrate your attempts to evaluate the platform.

Hope this helps,

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to let you know that I was finally able to get a BIRT report to run but not until I actually replaced the js.jar in the Websphere install with a new version of js.jar. Even after I instructed the class loader to load the application's local classpath first it still wanted to use the older version of js.jar. This will work as a temporary solution.

Sarah