Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: SQL Server as Olap source

Default SQL Server as Olap source

Hello,

Can I use Pentaho Analysis Component to run MDX query against a cube stored in SQL Server Analysis Services.

To go behind this question, I think we have to splite question about the Olap Server (Mondrian) and the Olap client. The reporting tool runs against different database, the analysis tool should have the sama capabilities to run against different MDX compliant database, such as MS or BW.

May be this connectivity against other MDX source may be undertake by the Mondrain server ?

Thanks in advance for your information on this subject,

Best regards,
    Patrick
    Patrick Beaucamp
    BPM-CONSEIL
    www.bpm-conseil.com

jdixon Guest

Default Re:SQL Server as Olap source

Hi Patrick,

The Pivot component (JPivot) is able to execute MDX against any XML/A datasource, e.g. MS Analysis Services or Essbase. We know this works with MS Analysis Services, we have not tried it yet with Essbase. This will allow you to navigate the cube and drill around.

Currently we can run business rules, populate dashboard controls, and create reports using MDX queries with Mondrian but not with other MDX data sources. We will try to fix this in the future.

James Dixon

Hello James,

Thanks for the answer and the good news it contains.

2 additionals questions for you, assuming I currently have no Pentaho installation on my server (this should be solved during the next coming days to test MDX against SQL Server)

- it seems that the pivot component do not need any Mondrian server, which means that I will manage the Jpivot connectivity directly from the server against SQL Server. This should allow any developper to design basic reports for end user. Am I Right ?

- What about user interface if some user wants to navigate against SQL Server cubes using Pentaho Analysis component : is this easy for those user (I mean as easy and nice looking interface as it can be using Cognos PowerPlay Web, even if all the function are still not in the analysis interface ?)

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Regards,
    Patrick
    Patrick Beaucamp
    BPM-CONSEIL
    www.bpm-conseil.com

jdixon Guest

Hi Patrick,

Yes. The pivot component includes a user interface to let users select members and move dimensions.

James

Hi patrick, James and all the people there..

i wonder if succeeded in viewing Microsoft Analysis Service Cubes from pentaho.. i've been trying for a while now but with not much success..

i'm using pentaho demo "pentaho_demo-1.1.3.206.zip" for evaluation and testing purposes..

i'm trying to browse MSAS cubes. MDX results using the Pivot component..

i liked very much the pivot component i reached in
    pentaho-demo\\pentaho-solutions\\samples\\analysis\\query1.xaction

i do not know much about moundrian... but i do not think that MSAS has something to be used in place of "SampleData.mondrian.xml" referenced in the xaction file..

actually i'm having problems specifying the connection too... i mean for XMLA access to MSAS.. we set a virtual directory that contains the XMLA dll and we access it through HTTP...so there is no Connection String and JDBC driver to specify... i maybe wrong.. i'm not an expert in MSAS either..

could anyone provide some help

thanks in advance
    modsaid,

i wonder if succeeded in viewing Microsoft Analysis Service Cubes from pentaho.. i've been trying for a while now but with not much success..

i'm using pentaho demo "pentaho_demo-1.1.3.206.zip" for evaluation and testing purposes..

pentaho-demo\\pentaho-solutions\\samples\\analysis\\query1.xaction

i do not know much about moundrian... but i do not think that MSAS has something to be used in place of "SampleData.mondrian.xml" referenced in the xaction file..

actually i'm having problems specifying the connection too... i mean for XMLA access to MSAS.. we set a virtual directory that contains the XMLA dll and we access it through HTTP...so there is no Connection String and JDBC driver to specify... i maybe wrong.. i'm not an expert in MSAS either..

thanks in advance
    modsaid,

/pentaho-demo/pentaho-solutions/samples/analysis/query1.xaction

thanks in advance
    modsaid,

Post edited by: modsaid, at: 04/20/2006 09:19

Post edited by: modsaid, at: 04/20/2006 09:20

Hi All,

I actually have the same problem, I have worked with different OLAP engines during my career and right now I am mostly working with Analysis Services cubes. So in order to use my sample cubes that I allready know well I would like to connect to Analysis Services, but I have so far failed in getting the complete information to be able to make the proper config. (I am really a big fan of Open Source BI as Mondrian and MYSQL, but right now MSAS would be good for evaluation and benchmarking).

I would love to get a step by step example on how to add data sources to JPivot and also a simple step by step example of the steps to set up a JPivot Report.

I suppose I need to add MSAS data source to the datasources.xml file (incl. url-references to the msxisapi.dll) and also create file similar to the mondrianXMLA.jsp file (in my case I call it msolapXMLA.jsp)? But what else?

How would the URL look like to browse to the report, like this? http://localhost:8080/jpivot/testpag...ery=msolapXMLA

Cheers
    /E

Hi jerics99,

(sorry english, I am french...)

I want to use MSAS too. With JPivot without Pentaho, I can connect with msxisapi.dll. My cub is good and I have any problem.

But with Pentaho, I can't use the jsp file "testpage.jsp?query=devisCcial". I have a Servlet Exception with tonbeller.

Can I use XMLA in a action sequence ?

Do you have a solution to use a XMLA datasource ?

Thanks.

Thomas.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your response to my posting. If I understand you correctly, you have been able to use jpivot against MSAS cubes? In that case you have got further than me, I have the xmla environment up and running with the samples but I have not been able to use JPivot with the MSAS cubes. I have not found any end user documentation regarding Jpivot, thats my problem now. I have not given up and I am continuing trying to get things to work. Can you recomend any sources of end user documentation for Jpivot?

/Eric

Hi Eric,

Today, I work with JPivot, Pentaho and Analysis Services.
    I have found a solution (not the best but...)

I have Sql Server 2000, Analysis Services and XML for Analysis SDK, Pentaho and JPivot.

With the documentation about XML for Analysis SDK
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-6cc2dcc2ac33
    I configure my server :
    I create a virtual directory "xmla" in IIS. This virtual directory is C:/Program Files/Xml for Analysis/isapi/
    Then I have http://myserver/xmla/msxisapi.dll

I have JPivot on Tomcat 5.0
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpivot

In [Tomcat]/webbaps/jpivot/WEB-INF/queries,
    I create a JSP file :
    Code:
    see next post (file attachement)
    So I can use JPivot with :
    http://localhost:8080/jpivot/testpag...ery=devisCcial

I use Pentaho (Reporting : JasperReports) and I use JPivot (Analysis) on Tomcat.

Pentaho has already JPivot, but I use JPivot with share. Because JPivot in Pentaho can't read XMLA.

I hope to have been clear. Remember : I am french ;-)

Thomas.

Post edited by: thomaslegoff, at: 04/28/2006 19:28

Excuses me, the JSP code is not visible. I don't know why...
    I attach my JSP file. http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_a...sCcial_jsp.txt

Post edited by: thomaslegoff, at: 04/28/2006 19:25

I always knew that you can always count on the French!

I am going to be on holiday for the nest week but I will try this out as soon as I get back to the office.

Vive lá France!

/Eric

Post edited by: jerics99, at: 04/29/2006 13:44

Thank you for this excellent guide! It saved me a lot of time and trouble :-)

I want to add one thing. I constantly got an error when calling testpage.jsp:

XMLAnalysisError.80004005 fault string=Database 'Devis' does not exist.

I was able to work around this by setting 'Managed Roles' to 'Everyone' in the Analysis Server.

Maybe that information helps someone.

Hi Roth,

The error is "Database Devis doesn't exist". Do you have a "Devis" database/catalog in your Analysis Services server ?

If you have it, you can have troubles with roles...
    I already had troubles with roles about cubes.

When I manage the roles about cubes, I autorize to "Everyone" and I autorize extraction too.

I don't know if it can help you, but you can try.

Good luck!

Thomas.

I had the same problem as Roth with not accessing the cubes, but it works now.

This is mentiones in the microsoft document Implementing the XML for Analysis Provider for SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services:

I cannot view some of the databases on the Analysis Services.
    In IIS Manager, check the security settings for the XML for Analysis virtual directory. If the security is set to the default security (anonymous access), access for the IUSR_servername or IWAM_computername user must be added to cube roles. You can send an MDX Query to return the "username" and easily check if it is the IUSR_servername or IWAM_computername user.

/Eric

I had the same problem as Roth with not accessing the cubes, but it works now.

This is mentiones in the microsoft document Implementing the XML for Analysis Provider for SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services:

I cannot view some of the databases on the Analysis Services.
    In IIS Manager, check the security settings for the XML for Analysis virtual directory. If the security is set to the default security (anonymous access), access for the IUSR_servername or IWAM_computername user must be added to cube roles. You can send an MDX Query to return the "username" and easily check if it is the IUSR_servername or IWAM_computername user.

/Eric

I have another problem though. I am able to with JPivot to connect to my Analysis Srevices FoodMarts cube Sales, but when trying to access my customer cube (which use partitions on the Period dimesnion) it does not work, I get the error:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Member [Partition].[All] Level=null

(see the full error message last in this posting)

Does not JPivot support MS OLAP Cubes with partitions?

/Eric

Post edited by: jerics99, at: 05/22/2006 02:46

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Member [Partition].[All] Level=null
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:510)
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:375)
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.RequestFilter$MyHandler.normalRequest(RequestFilter.java:139)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.RequestSynchronizer.handleRequest(RequestSynchronizer.java:127)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.RequestFilter.doFilter(RequestFilter.java:263)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Member [Partition].[All] Level=null
    javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Member [Partition].[All] Level=null
    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:854)
    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:791)
    at org.apache.jsp.enterprise_jsp._jspService(enterprise_jsp.java:253)
    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:332)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.RequestFilter$MyHandler.normalRequest(RequestFilter.java:139)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.RequestSynchronizer.handleRequest(RequestSynchronizer.java:127)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Member [Partition].[All] Level=null
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Member [Partition].[All] Level=null
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_Member.(XMLA_Member.java:176)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_Result.handleMember(XMLA_Result.java:132)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_SOAP.executeQuery(XMLA_SOAP.java:939)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_Result.(XMLA_Result.java:54)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_Model.getResult(XMLA_Model.java:213)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.olap.model.OlapModelDecorator.getResult(OlapModelDecorator.java:54)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.olap.model.CachingOlapModel.getResult(CachingOlapModel.java:48)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.olap.model.OlapModelDecorator.getResult(OlapModelDecorator.java:54)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.table.TableComponent.updateOlapModel(TableComponent.java:245)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.table.TableComponent.render2(TableComponent.java:250)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.table.TableComponent.render(TableComponent.java:234)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.component.RendererTag.doEndTag(RendererTag.java:137)
    at org.apache.jsp.enterprise_jsp._jspx_meth_wcf_render_6(enterprise_jsp.java:1218)
    at org.apache.jsp.enterprise_jsp._jspService(enterprise_jsp.java:219)
    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
    at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:332)

Post edited by: jerics99, at: 05/22/2006 02:49

jdixon Guest

Can you post the MDX you are submitting when you get this error?

James

Hi,

I have attached my jsp file to this posting.

Thanks!

/Eric

Hi,

I have attached my jsp file (with extension txt to be able to attach it).

Thanks

/E http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_a...data1.jsp_.txt

thomaslegoff wrote:

I use Pentaho (Reporting : JasperReports) and I use JPivot (Analysis) on Tomcat.

Pentaho has already JPivot, but I use JPivot with share. Because JPivot in Pentaho can't read XMLA.
    Hello,
    I was wondering why you can use Jpivot alone to connect via XMLA to a Analysis Services cube, but you can't do it with the JPivot that comes with Pentaho. Would it be that hard to modifiy this JPivot so you could create a new .jsp that, similar to Pivot.jsp (let's say PivotXMLA.jsp) could be called from a Pentaho xaction (retrieving the query, catalog, etc...)?

Which are the differences between this two JPivots? Why can't the pentaho JPivot read xmla?

Regards,
    Javier
    Javier Giménez
    StrateBI - TodoBI

Default sql server 2005 and jpivot

Hi
    i've made some tests with pentaho and jpivot and the jpivot integrated with pentaho can read XMLA.

you can test your jsp querie, for example:
    <jp:xmlaQuery
    id="query01"
    uri="http://host/olap/msmdpump.dll"
    catalog="OLAP">But you must modify your Pivot.jsp to change the <jp:mondrianQuery id="" dataSource="" catalogUri="" role="<%=role%>"> with the new <jp:xmlaQuery... written above.

See how to connect via http with sql server 2005 in http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../httpasws.mspx

It's the same way that
    http://localhost/xmla/msxisapi.dll for sql server 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by meteko View Post
    Hi
    i've made some tests with pentaho and jpivot and the jpivot integrated with pentaho can read XMLA.
    Could you provide me in more details how to configure Pentaho to use MS SQL SSAS 2005 as an XMLA source?
    (not using JSP, but using .xaction)

thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markmal View Post
    Could you provide me in more details how to configure Pentaho to use MS SQL SSAS 2005 as an XMLA source?

thanks,
    Mark
    I'd also like more details please.

i think that under MS SQL SSAS 2005, you're forced to write the mdx query in a jsp block code, starting with <jp:xmlaQuery tag.

Unhappy Drill through problem

Hi all

i Have Sql server 2000
    and i am using tomcat 5.5 with jpivot 1.5
    i have created a xmla connection as suggested
    i have got my olap result also
    but when i am trying to drill through any of the member
    its giving me the error

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

com.tonbeller.jpivot.olap.model.OlapException: Excecute result has no return element
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_SOAP.findDrillExecRoot(XMLA_SOAP.java:1674)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_SOAP.executeDrillQuery(XMLA_SOAP.java:1084)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_Result.<init>(XMLA_Result.java:61)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_Model.getDrillResult(XMLA_Model.java:245)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_DrillThroughTableModel.executeQuery(XMLA_DrillThroughTableModel.java:207)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_DrillThroughTableModel.getColumnCount(XMLA_DrillThroughTableModel.java:105)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.table.TableComponent.setModel(TableComponent.java:197)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.table.EditableTableComponent.setModel(EditableTableComponent.java:235)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.table.navi.DrillThroughUI$DrillThroughHandler.request(DrillThroughUI.java:125)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.DispatcherSupport.request(DispatcherSupport.java:167)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.DispatcherSupport.request(DispatcherSupport.java:167)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.component.ComponentSupport.request(ComponentSupport.java:104)
    at com.tonbeller.jpivot.table.TableComponent.request(TableComponent.java:180)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.WcfController.request(WcfController.java:71)
    at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.RequestFilter$MyHandler.normalRequest(RequestFilter.java:119)
    at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:432)
    [JPivot] 04 Mar 2008 12:42:07,703 ERROR [Session 4F151664AFE9713D4CBCB35A9CED50F9] com.tonbeller.jpivot.xmla.XMLA_DrillThroughTableModel#executeQuery: ?
    com.tonbeller.jpivot.olap.model.OlapException: Excecute result has no return element

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not able to track what is wrong
    please suggest me what to do

i have enabled drill through in analysis server manager and when i click on drill through it is giving me correct result in analysis server manager

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by markmal View Post

thanks,
    Mark
    Does anyone have this information? I too am looking to use Pentaho, but we have SSAS as our data warehouse.