Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Mysql

Default Mysql

Pentaho is exactly what I'm looking for. Will you be releasing a version of the Pentaho demo that will run with Mysql as the database engine? If not is there an easy way to switch everything over? The demo you provided would be much easier to understand if it were Mysql based.

Thanks

Default Re:Mysql

I changed everything over to Mysql myself.

jdixon Guest

Thats great. We will be providing a MySQL-based demo soon.

James Dixon

I was testing different configurations this weekend. It would be nice to have Mysql scripts to create and load the databases for Hibernate, Quartz, Shark and anything else that is required for the core Pentaho server. I created those 3 databases and copied the data over, but I think it would be best if you created the scripts. I don't intend to modify your core server install, it works great.

I currently have the pentaho_j2ee_deployments-1.0.0.0 working with Jboss-4.0.2. I'm using the Hypersonic sample data for Hibernate, Quartz and Shark. I'm using Mysql 5 for my data. Hibernate didn't seem to like Mysql 5 very much and I suspect it would run better with a 3-X version.

Thanks for making such a great product.

dwarden - how did you transfer the databases + data from Hypersonic to MySQL? I too am trying to set up a MySQL based demo environment and am struggling with the Hibernate and Shark components.

Thanks,
    Paul

I used Squirrel SQL Client from the Sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrel-sql. I was able to generate the SQL files to create the tables and load the data from Hypersonic, Quartz and Shark. Mysql won't let you copy and paste tables. Either the tables or the indexes weren't what Hibernate expected to find and I didn't have time to debug the SQL. I suspect there was an index problem due to the errors Hibernate generated.

You should consider leaving Hibernate,Quartz and Shark on Hypersonic until the Pentaho people publish their Mysql demo. When the Mysql tables are complete you should be able to use Squirrel or some other SQL client to export the data from Hypersonic and import it into Mysql. I have those 3 packages running under Hypersonic and I'm using Mondrian to query databases on Mysql. I was able to use BIRT to do a quick report from Mysql, but report writers are a little limited for me. When Pentaho publishes a Mysql package I should be able to move everything I've been working on in a couple of hours. Depending how everything looks I may only move the Hypersonic data over.

Thanks

Hey all,

The hibernate tables will be generated in MySQL automatically. Simply modify the hibernate.cfg.xml to point to use the appropriate JDBC driver and stuff, and change the dialect to:

org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLDialect

Then, when you start up the platform, all the tables will be created, with the appropriate cascading referential integrity.

Hey there,

I got the database create scripts for MySQL from the Quartz distribution, zipped them up, and placed them here. http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_a...artz_mysql.zip

Cool.

Thanks for your help.

I think I found my original mistake. I didn't change the Hibernate xml to include the org.pentaho.repository.MySQL5InnoDBDialect. I used the org.pentaho.repository..MySQLDialect. Hibernate created its tables on the first Mondrian query.

Pentaho rocks!

Thanks for your help.

Hi,
    I also want to change hypersonic database to my sql,
    can u guide me regading this one, what are the steps to be followed and which files I ahve to modified.
    And in another post u have to told to check "http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrel-sql." this is showing an invalid project.
    please help to cahnge my database to mysql.

Try searching SourceForge for squirrel-sql. I followed Marc's advice and most of the Hibernate tables were created when Jboss started up. While testing Hibernate complained about some other tables so I created them manually. I will post the SQL from my MySQL setup, you may need to edit it if you need InnoDB.

You will need to change the dialect and Hypersonic entries in all the files involved. Search your hard drive for them, there location will vary depending on your setup. Here are some of the files that will need to be edited:

jdbc.properties
    PentahoHibernate-ds.xml
    hibernate.cfg.xml

Change the dialect to:

org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLDialect
    or
    org.pentaho.repository.MySQL5InnoDBDialect

Depending on the version of MySQL you are using. I moved everything over by searching and editing all the files containing Hypersonic links.

I'm not an expert on the Pentaho setup. James or Marc if you can offer more advice it would be very helpful.

Thanks http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_a.../hibernate.txt

Post edited by: dwarden, at: 02/06/2006 10:29