Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY

Default Re:HELP NEEDED URGENTLY

I have honestly read through the instalation guide"s" and am not clear on how to do it. I have not had any IT traing at all except what I have taught myself. All I am asking for is a little guidance. I am willing to open a new port for JBoss intead of changing to TomCat, however I do not know what port to switch it to. Unfortunately we can not afford to pay someone to do it so I am stuck doing it myself and trying hard to understand something that is literaly like German to me.

Bruno,

1- Download the latest version of the Advanced Install Guide (Pentaho_Advanced_Install_Guide_1.1.3.pdf).

2- Search for the following words:
    Changing the Server Port

3- Follow the steps

If you're not sure what port to try, try port 9090. If you don't have anything running on port 80 (the default HTTP port), use 80.

When you access the platform, instead of using http://localhost:8080/pentaho you'll need to use http://localhost:####/pentaho.

I hope this helps,

Marc

Thak you SO VERY MUCH. That was th eexact problem I had. I do have something running off of port 80 so I will use 9090.

The advanced Instalation guide says if you are going to run bot the server and the web broser on the same machine then we ca use localhost, however the web broser is going to be used on several differnt computers based on my understanding (if I am correct) we will not be able to use localhost or will we. I previosely tried a few times to set it up with the IP address and the name that shows on my computer when I boot it up every morning, but it did not work. (I di d not use them both at the same time I tried each one seperately) Was I doing it correctly?

I think that what you are looking for is here: http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=26057

Thank you I followed everyones direction. I have a quick question to through in. We use a router, do we have to open a port on the router to accomidate the port I assigned to JBoss? I used 9090.

I guess that if you're only using your internal network, no configuration on your router should be necessary. Be sure, though, to open the port on any firewall you may be using on your machine.

If you need to access your Pentaho from outside, you'll most probably need to configure your router in order to allow traffic on the port and redirect TCP traffic on that port to your machine's IP address.

Give it a try with the help of your router's manual...

Thank you, I guess my boss was refereing to having someone access it from outside, but I did what I was asked to do which is make sure we can access Pentaho on an internal network. So now let's pray it works and I di dnot screw anything up.

Well guys, I knew it was to good to be true, and too easy as well. I can not access the web page, I get a can not find server error. Any suggestions on what to check for?

You really should start to look for your answers instead of just plain asking... Not that I (or anyone else in these forums, I think!) mind helping. It's just that you'll learn much more and have more fun if you try by yourself with the help of the documentation and, of course, by reading the forums.

Then, if you really aren't making any progress, everyone will be more willingly to help if you make an effort to be more accurate on the explanation of your doubt.

Sorry but this had to be said!

Now, back to your question:
    1. Is the server running without errors (keep an eye on the console after running start-pentaho.bat)?
    2. Can you access pentaho through localhost using the new port (http://localhost:9090)?
    3. Have you changed your web.xml to use the new port?

Try these and post the results!

Bruno

Post edited by: bpfonte, at: 03/15/2006 12:33