Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Open Source??

Default Open Source??

First of all I am very excited to discover such an extensive open source effort in the field of Business Intelligence.

The way I understand open source software is that its source code is... well open and accessible even if the software is not free.

But where on earth can I download the source code. When I visit the GA downloads section it is only the SDK component that can be downloaded. The remaining components only have executable downloads.

Also is the software itself free to use even for commercial applications.

What is your licensing policy is it GNU GPL?

Can someone please answer.

Thanks
    NKT

Post edited by: cognosfreelancer, at: 07/26/2006 15:08

Default Re:Open Source??

Like most open source businesses there is a community version and a "pro" version. the "pro" version has some added features that the community version does not. and there are also other support services.

If you look at the "get latest here" you can down load an much improved version as well the license is also avaible for download there as well. or you can get it via SVN. but if you download the SDK you got the source. under pentaho/server/pentaho/src. And checking out the avaibles docs should help give you a better understnding as well.

Hope that helps,

Nic
    Try not to have too much fun.
    - - - -
    Nic Guzaldo
    That guy who shows up here
    and there

Thank you Nic.

Within the downloads section, under the GA sub section. Source code can be downloaded for only the SDK component. Remaining components within the designer studio, BI platform etc do not have a source download feature enabled.

However within the sub section 'get latest' most Report Designer components can be downloaded with source but not the SDK and the BI Platform components.

What gives?

Is there anyway I can download the source code for all the GA componets of the Pentaho BI solution.

Also I am not clear about the difference between a commercial version and the community version.

Is the only difference in support offered. Are both version similar in functionality otherwise. The downloads section does not diferentiate between community and commercial so i am not sure what you are talking here.

I'm pretty sure you can just use Subversion, SVN, and DownLoad all the stuff..

check this link out.
    http://www.pentaho.org/index.php?opt...=63&Itemid=276
    or just click the link on the left "get the code"

all the source should be there. IN SVN you should be able to get to the source for pentaho, pentaho-data, designstudio, preconfiguredinstall, reportdesigner, reportwizard, sample-solutions and a standalone. If what you are looking for isn't in there and I'm not sure where else to point you.

Hope that helps get you want you want,

Nic
    Try not to have too much fun.
    - - - -
    Nic Guzaldo
    That guy who shows up here
    and there