Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: FreeTDS Version Issue

Default FreeTDS Version Issue

I am testing against a SQL Server Express (2005) database and am getting the following:

Error: SQLBaseComponent.ERROR_0006 - Could not execute dear-part.xaction - java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC][SQLServer]The incoming tabular data stream (TDS) remote procedure call (RPC) protocol stream is incorrect. Parameter 1 (""): Data type 0x38 is unknown. (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
    Debug: Starting execute of dear-part//dear-part.xaction (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Getting runtime context and data (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Loading action sequence definition file (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: SolutionRepository.DEBUG_FILE_PATH - getFile path=G:\\java\\pentaho-demo\\pentaho-solutions\\dear-part\\dear-part.xaction (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    Debug: audit: instanceId=0b400380-1d2d-11db-b126-05ff58a2aee3, objectId=org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_start (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: SQLBaseComponent.ERROR_0006 - Could not execute dear-part.xaction - java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC][SQLServer]The incoming tabular data stream (TDS) remote procedure call (RPC) protocol stream is incorrect. Parameter 1 (""): Data type 0x38 is unknown. (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
    Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - ActionDefinition for SQLLookupRule did not execute successfully (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)

In looking up the issue, (http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/f...q1/018110.html) it seems there is an icompatibility with certain versions of FreeTDS and SQL Server 2005. Version 0.63 is supposed to work. I don't know what version Pentaho is using.

Anyone else having this issue?

Bill

Default Re:FreeTDS Version Issue

Looking into it a bit further... I have been able to get the same query working in Report Design Wizard. I switched to the JTDS driver from the Microsoft driver. I am still unable to get the Design Wizard to connect to the database using either the JNDI or JDBC connection scheme.

To remove the problem with SQL Server 2005, I went to MSDE connected via JTDS 1.2:

Error: ConnectFactory.ERROR_0001 - Database connection could not be established to: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433;instance=popkinsql;host=NIRM5476130 - java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
    Debug: Starting execute of dear-part//dear-part.xaction (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Getting runtime context and data (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Loading action sequence definition file (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: SolutionRepository.DEBUG_FILE_PATH - getFile path=G:\\java\\pentaho-demo\\pentaho-solutions\\dear-part\\dear-part.xaction (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    Debug: audit: instanceId=c2417521-1d3a-11db-b126-05ff58a2aee3, objectId=org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_start (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: ConnectFactory.ERROR_0001 - Database connection could not be established to: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433;instance=popkinsql;host=NIRM5476130 - java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
    Error: SQLBaseComponent.ERROR_0005 - Database connection could not be established (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
    Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - ActionDefinition for SQLLookupRule did not execute successfully (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)

Server Version 1.1.7.0 build 301

Bill

This last issue is not related to the MS SQL issue with FreeTDS. I did get the JTDS driver working following the instructions in this thread:

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=26644

Bill

jdixon Guest

Hi Bill,

Can you confirm that you have everything working with your database driver now?

James

James,

I have it working with MSDE and the JTDS driver. I have not been able to get it working with SQL Server 2005 (see previous FreeTDS issue). I will also test with SQL Server 2000.

Drivers
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
    com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver

Bill