Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: can't start pentaho design wizard rc2 on freebsd6

Default can't start pentaho design wizard rc2 on freebsd6

Hi all,

I can't start pentaho design wizard rc2 on freebsd6. What could be wrong here? I am able to start the pentaho report designer but cannot start the report design wizard.

My reportwizard_linux.sh file looks like:

#!/bin/sh

if [ "$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" = "" ]; then
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    fi

if [ "$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME" = "" ]; then
    MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla
    export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME
    fi

java -cp ./resources:./bin:./classes:./lib/pentaho-reporting-1.2.0.jar:./lib/activation.jar:./lib/asm-attrs.jar:./lib/bsf-2.3.0.jar:./lib/bsh-1.3.0.jar:./lib/castor-1.0.1.jar:./lib/commons-logging.jar:./lib/commons-collections-3.1.jar:./lib/commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar:./lib/commons-pool-1.2.jar:./lib/dom4j-1.6.1.jar:./lib/eigenbase-properties.jar:./lib/eigenbase-resgen.jar:./lib/eigenbase-xom.jar:./lib/itext-1.4.jar:./lib/javacup.jar:./lib/jaxen.jar:./lib/jcommon-logging-log4jlog-1.0.2.jar:./lib/jcommon-1.0.5.jar:./lib/jcommon-xml-1.0.5.jar:./lib/jfreereport-0.8.7-6.jar:./lib/js.jar:./lib/jug-lgpl-2.0.0.jar:./lib/libfonts-0.1.9.jar:./lib/log4j-1.2.8.jar:./lib/mondrian.jar:./lib/pentaho.jar:./lib/pixie-0.8.6.jar:./lib/poi-3.0-alpha1-20050704.jar:./lib/libloader-0.1.2.jar:./lib/saxon8.jar:./lib/saxon8-dom.jar:./lib/saxon8-jdom.jar:./lib/saxon8-sql.jar:./lib/saxon8-xom.jar:./lib/saxon8-xpath.jar:./lib/simple-jndi-0.11.1.jar:./lib/xercesImpl.jar:./lib/xml-apis.jar:./lib/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.1.0.jar:./lib/swt-linux/linux-swt.jar:./lib/nicky.jar:./lib/jfreechart-1.0.1.jar:./lib/commons-httpclient-3.0-rc4.jar:./lib/commons-fileupload-1.0.jar:./lib/commons-codec-1.3.jar:./lib/commons-math-1.0.jar -Djava.library.path=./lib/swt-linux/:/usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla org.pentaho.jfreereport.wizard.ReportWizard

Here I've changed the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME environment vars and I dropped my postqresql jdbc driver in the lib/jdbc folder as the documentation suggested but after I issue sh reportdesigner_linux.sh I get the following error message:

[rgilaard@zouk /usr/home/rgilaard/RDW]$ sh reportwizard_linux.sh
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/home/rgilaard/RDW/lib/swt-linux/libswt-pi-gtk-3232.so: /usr/home/rgilaard/RDW/lib/swt-linux/libswt-pi-gtk-3232.so: unsupported file layout
    at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1676)
    at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:822)
    at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:992)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:123)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.<clinit>(OS.java:22)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:63)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:54)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:126)
    at org.pentaho.jfreereport.wizard.ReportWizard.<clinit>(ReportWizard.java:122)
    [rgilaard@zouk /usr/home/rgilaard/RDW]$

Jave was chosen because of its write once, run anywhere paradigma, so why am I having troubles? The java version I'm using is:

[rgilaard@zouk /usr/home/rgilaard/RDW]$ java -version
    java version "1.5.0"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build diablo-1.5.0-b00)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build diablo-1.5.0_07-b00, mixed mode)
    [rgilaard@zouk /usr/home/rgilaard/RDW]$

Default Re:can't start pentaho design wizard rc2 on freebs

Hi,

the problem lies within the SWT. That thing is not Java - its plain C/C++ with all the ugly dependencies that come with it. So "run anywhere" works only, as long as no SWT is involved. (Say thanks to IBM (and its war against Sun) for that.)

The most likely cause is, that FreeBSD is not Linux. It may smell like Linux - but it uses a different library layout. You will have to replace the linux-specific libraries against FreeBSD libs.

Now you have two choices:

(a) If there's an Linux-compatiblity-layer, you can try that one.
    (b) If that fails, you have to compile the libraries yourself. (Or try to find a precompiled version. Eclipse.org ignores FreeBSD, so there are no official builds from them)

The ReportDesigner works, as that one is 100%-Pure Java with no SWT involved.

Regards,
    Thomas
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Check the Free BSD Port pages for Eclipse listed here:

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/java.html

Yes,

it looks like Eclipse is working on freebsd and I even found a port for swt (Port description for x11-toolkits/swt31

SWT is the software component that delivers native widget functionality
    for the Eclipse platform in an operating system independent manner.

This port provides SWT without requiring a full download and build of
    Eclipse.

WWW: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/
    )

So now I don't see any reason why the report design wizard should not work. Maybe I should try building this swt port together with eclipse and look then what happens if I try to run the report design wizard again.

Are you still receiving the same error?

/usr/home/rgilaard/RDW/lib/swt-linux/libswt-pi-gtk-3232.so: unsupported file layout

My guess (and it's just a guess at this point since we don't officially support or test on freebsd) is with the file libswt-pi-gtk-3232.so that the shell script is trying to load.

You'll probably have to replace that library with the corresponding file from your freebsd platform, and modify the shell script to load that file.

If I'm not mistaken, you're running a 64bit platform - you may need a 64bit version of that library.

Good luck,

Marc