Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Trying to debug the Pentaho SDK

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Trying to debug the Pentaho SDK

Downloaded Pentaho 1.2 RC1 demo and tried to run it against MySQL.

Now, I wanted to explore the SDK a bit. Therefore, downloaded also the latest SDK and started following "Developing with the Pentaho SDK" document step by step. Imported all Pentaho projects and finally compiled them without errors past Friday.

I think I've correctly configured Eclipse (also followed the document) and now I was trying to debug the "Standalone" project of the SDK. Just to initiate with the Pentaho SDK.

Well, the document tells me to compile using Ant but Eclipse throws me an error saying:

BUILD FAILED
    C:\\Documents and Settings\\mloichate\\Mis documentos\\Eclipse\\Projects\\pentaho-standalone\\build.xml:23: The following error occurred while executing this line:
    C:\\Documents and Settings\\mloichate\\Mis documentos\\Eclipse\\Projects\\pentaho\\build.xml:144: Error running javac.exe compiler

What am I missing?

I would really appreciate any help on this, cause I'm really newbie to Pentaho, Eclipse and Java in general.

Thanks very much in advance.

Default Re:Trying to debug the Pentaho SDK

Based on the error, I'd say that Ant can't find your java compiler. To build the project, you'll need to download JDK 1.4.2.x from the sun web site. Additionally, you'll need to have your JAVA_HOME environment variable set. You may also have to modify the build properties file (often called default.properties and overridden by the build.properties file) to specify where to find the java compiler (javac.exe)

I hope this helps,

Marc

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have the latest Java SDK, downloaded and installed a few days ago (JDK 1.5.0_08).

I've set JAVA_HOME environment variable to c:\\Program Files\\Java\\jdk1.5.0_08\\

Don't know what to change in the default.properties or build.properties files. I don't see anything referencing javac.exe.

I think I shouldn't change these files, they stay the same when they were downloaded. I suppose the downloaded files should be correct.

Thanks very much.

Once thing to note is, it needs to be built using JDK 1.4.2.x. We haven't tested with JDK 1.5, so your mileage there will vary.

Secondly, the SDK that is currently up on sourceforge isn't the latest build - it's dated from July of 2006. I'll update our build team on this point. I suggest you get the latest code from our subversion repository. This is much more up-to-date and has the latest bug fixes.

Finally, on the build.properties and default.properties points, the build files are intended to be modified by people so that their environment is able to be found by ANT.

default.properties supplies the names of the ANT variables and their default settings.

build.properties is intended for build time overrides. At a minimum, you'll need to specify the variable java1.4.home variable and the jre.dir.

You may also need to modify the build.xml if you're building the javadoc tag to specify the location of the javadoc.exe.

Take care,

Marc

I downloaded and installed JDK 1.4.2_12. This way I've been able to compile the stand-alone solution using Ant.

However, in spite of "Build successful" message, I can't see the directories and files the doc mentions. I do no have "bin" directory for example after building with Ant and refreshing.

I've then noticed that both standalone and pentaho projects show a "warning icon" in the Navigator view of Eclipse, but really don't know what it is causing this.

My JAVA_HOME environment variable points now to the new JDK installed and I've added the path to this JDK and the JRE to the Path environment variable.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks very much.

Hello and thanks for your interest in Pentaho. It's great that you were able to follow the guide, and you were successful compiling the standalone project.

I think the reason that you're not able to see the bin directory is that you're not actually in the Navigator view. I think somehow, you have switched to the Package Explorer view. Could you confirm this?

If you were using the Package Explorer view, it would make sense that you are are not seeing the bin directory, and it would also make sense that you are seeing the warning icons next to the project names. These icons do not appear in the Navigator view.

Eclipse displays warning icons to inform you that there may be problems in your source code or projects Though these are not errors, warnings should be evaluated to make sure that more serious problems do not occur.

To view the details of warnings, you can load the Problems view. We do take notice of warnings and do our best to keep the Problems view clean of all warnings. However, since these are not errors, there may be warnings that will remain, even after our development team evaluates and fixes problems indicated by warnings.

So, since it appears that your Pentaho SDK has compiled successfully, I suggest the following:

1. On the Window menu, point to Show View
    2. From the Show View submenu, click Navigator.
    3. Verify that the projects do not show warning icons.
    4. Verify that the pentaho, pentaho-preconfiguredinstall, and pentaho-standalone projects have bin directories.

Let us know how it goes,

Brian