Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Customize JSP Dashboard

Default Customize JSP Dashboard

Hello,

I'm not new to Pentaho but ain't any java expert either, this should be something very simple.

I'm just trying to modify (following the instructions in the doc) the default sampleDashboard.jsp which comes with the PCI. So, I try to change a very simple thing (like a label) in the file: pentaho.war/jsp/SampleDashboard.jsp

But, after restarting pentaho (though I think it shouldn't be necessary) , i cannot see any of the changes I ve made. Same thing happens if I try to add a new jsp (for a dashboard). It seems that JBoss doesn't compile this jsp (new or modified) and create the necessary class (as far as I've read) in classes/org/apache/jsp/xxxx_jsp.class.

¿What's my problem? I don't know mucho about apache so i'm quite lost here... I hope someone can help.

Thanks a lot,
    Javier
    Javier Giménez
    StrateBI - TodoBI

Default Re:Customize JSP Dashboard

For it to recompile, JBoss needs to be pointing at a JDK (Java Development Kit), not the shipping JRE (Java Runtime Environment). Unfortunately, we cannot (due to licensing) ship the Java JDK - you'll have to download it directly from sun (http://java.sun.com). Be sure to get the latest 1.4.2.x and not the 1.5 version.

The JDK is (unfortunately) required because the JSP compiler is inside the file tools.jar (only shipped with the JDK).

If you're using the PCI from Windows, you'll additionally have to modify the start-pentaho.bat so that it doesn't fire up with the supplied JRE, but instead uses your newly installed JDK.

I hope this helps,

Marc

Hello Marc,

Thank you for your answer. I had it with JDK 1.5 but i changed it to 1.4.2 and it seems it's not working. If I change let's say Home.jsp I can see the changes. But nothing happens when I change SampleDashboard.jsp. Could it be because the mapping in the web.xml?

Thank you.

Post edited by: jagiaz, at: 2006/10/23 15:04
    Javier Giménez
    StrateBI - TodoBI

If you're running the PCI, the start-pentaho.bat wants to use the supplied JRE for running the demo. You'll have to modify the file so that it points to your JDK.

I hope this helps,

Marc

Hello,

I'm not using the PCI, T start pentaho from the jboss/bin/start.bat, and it points to my JDK 1.4.2. The problem seems to be that it doesn't find or use the java compiler for the jsp... i really don't know why.

I can answer any quesion, or make en test that you tell me, I really need to modify a dashboard.

Thanks,
    Javier
    Javier Giménez
    StrateBI - TodoBI

Escuse me Sirs:
    Y have the same problem, somes jsp are compiled, but
    .../default/deploy/pentaho.war/jsp/*.jsp are not compiled when they are modified.
    {PCI} version

Some one can help us
    Best regards

Fco Rodriguez

For the JSPs to be compiled, you must have a JDK, not a JRE. The tools.jar has to be able to be found by the server for JSPs to be able to be compiled.

Unfortunately, we can't distribute the JDK (Java Development Kit) due to licensing issues.

Take care,

Marc

Dear Marc:
    I try with JDK, but I have the same problem.
    If i modify pivot.jsp. its result ok. generate pivot_jsp.class in
    pentaho-demo\\jboss\\server\\default\\work\\jboss.web\\locathost\\...
    pentaho\\org\\apache\\jsp\\jsp\\Pivot_jsp-class.

but the class in pentaho-demo\\jboss\\server\\default\\deploy\\pentaho.war\\WEB-INF\\classes\\...
    org\\apache\\jsp\\jsp\\Pivot_jsp-class, its not update, has the same date
    (old date).
    SampleDashboard_jsp.class is only in the last directory and all of its jsp are not compiled updated.
    Of course i have jdk 1.4.2....
    Thanks in advance

Francisco

Hello Francisco,

From your name I think you might be spanish or at least spanish speaking. It seems we are facing the same problem.

Would you mind to email me at: javier.gimenez@stratebi.com so we coulds share some info, or problems, or whatever about pentaho?

Best regads (saludos),
    Javier
    Javier Giménez
    StrateBI - TodoBI

Oh, I see.

The problem is that we pre-compile the JSPs so that people without a JDK can run the platform.

The simplest solution is to do the following (because you have a JDK):

1- Stop your server

2- Delete the folder pentaho-demo / jboss / server / default/ deploy/ pentaho.war/ WEB-INF/ classes /org / apache

(Spaces added for formatting purposes)

3- Restart your server.

You should be all set now.

Sorry, I didn't understand where things were going wrong. Also, I was on vacation for several days celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary with my wife, so I'm just now catching up.

Take care,

Marc