Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Documentation

Default Documentation

Is there any documentation for the Metadata or Ad Hoc Query tools? I did not see any in the downloads area.

Thanks,
    Jason

Default Re:Documentation

Hi Jason,

you'll find documentation for the metadata tool in the docs folder of the distribution after you unziped it.

I don't know about the adhoc query tool.

Berst regards,
    Ingo

Thanks. I found the documentation and started reviewing it. Everything looks OK until the section on Publishing a MetaData Model where it states that it requires Pentaho Reporting - Web Based Adhoc Query and Reporting 1.5.1 milestone release. I have not seen this anywhere. Do you know where I can find it?

Hello,

from what I understand of all the press releases, FAQs etc. this is the situation:

The ad hoc query tool, which uses the meta data layer, will be a professional offering and right now only a flash demo is available to the public.
    (Ad hoc query tool FAQ http://community.pentaho.org/faq/waqr_faq.php)

The other reporting tools (Designer etc.) do not support the meta data layer at this time, but will in the near future. (Meta Data FAQ http://community.pentaho.org/faq/pentaho_metadata.php)

What you can do so far, in the open yource version, is to download the Metadata Editor and test it for features and bugs to support its development process. That will ensure that a good editor is available once the meta data layer becomes usable in the reporting tools.

Maybe Pentaho wants to clarify if I stated the situation correctly.

Best regards,
    Ingo

Absolutely Ingo, that's pretty much the situation. I'm sure if it weren't thanksgiving hollidays in the US, we would have had many more reactions on this subject.

If any feedback exists on the subject of Pentaho metadata or the metadata editor, feel free to contact me as I'm the guinea pig that wrote that stuff.

All the best,

Matt (mcasters at pentaho dot org)

Default MetaData Editor

I thought it was too good to be true until I hit "Note: Requires Pentaho Reporting - Web based Adhoc Query and Reporting 1.5.1 milestone release". Any plans to add this to the open source product?

Some feedback for the next release: import relationships using the foreign keys defined in the DB; import table and column comments from the database and add related metadata fields for the corresponding meta data objects. Also, I wasn't able to utilize an existing JNDI data source for an Oracle DB (your application froze). JDBC was ok.

Since you are using the CWM...any plans to import EUL from discoverer, project from MSTR, universe from BO, or catalog from cognos? not sure if it is possible or worthwhile, but wondered if you thought about that possibility.

Cheers,

Chris

Default Plenty of plans

Hi Chris,

We are actually in the process of building a revised plan for Pentaho Metadata (& Editor) and I will put your feature requests on the list.

The good news is indeed that we use CWM, the bad news is that we use CWM and that this in fact means that the data probably can't be imported just like that.
    That being said, there are already a partner working on a bridge from BO. (native, not through CWM)
    Once that is done, the next platforms would probably be easy too.

If anybody wants to play with the Pentaho Metadata API, I created an eclipse test project (PMDTest) to show the possibilities.
    You can download it over here: PMDTest.zip

All the best,

Matt

Thanks for your reply Matt. This reply came at right time when I was evaluating Kettle followed by MetaData Editor.
    I was wondering whether it is too difficult to integrate MetaData Editor with Spoon?

I would like to use the the Metadata Editor to define the business views from physical tables and use Spoon for any additional transformation. Finally use the Kitchen/Pan to export the data as per the business views.

Is it possible provide directions on these integration solutions among these tools?

Regards
    --Mahesh
    Last edited by mvenkat; 01-13-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Default Regarding Metadata Editor

Hi,
    I was creating a domain using Metadata Editor and the domainl finally consisted of 10 business models.I wish to save it now and import it as an xmi and perform reporting tasks.But as the domainl is quite huge,it is not getting saved even after taking a lot of time.Does Metadata Editor support huge domains?Can you please throw light on this issue.

Regards,
    Divya

Divya, don't hijack threads.

As for your problem: try to give the editor a bit more memory to work with.

Matt