Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: convertion

Default convertion

Is there any tool to convert old JFreeReport format to XML format?
    Thanks for any help.

Hi,

a report converter can be found in the package com.jrefinery.report.io.ext.writer as class ReportConverter.

A GUI for that converter is available as ReportConverterGUI in the same package.

This converter reads an report and writes it to the specified location in your filesystem.

Have more fun,
    said Thomas

Default Old Old Converter

I have seen the ReportConverter & ReportConverterGUI, but they are for a convertion between two different XML format.
    Before using XML JFreeReport used ANTLR to parse a special format of the files definition. Is there any converter from that format to new XML format, or to old XML format and then I can use ReportConverter?

Hi,

the ANTLR version of the report definitions is too old, there is no converter for that ...

I never used that report definition format, as the ANTLR parser is not able to handle Unicode correctly, my first steps in JFreeReport were to write a new XML parser for the engine.

Have more fun,
    said Thomas

Default New Formulas

Thank you. I will have to rewrite all the reports definition, so I think I'll wait for the GUI report writer you talk about in this forum. Another question. I see you have introduced formula calculation in the last versions of JFreeReport. What about to introduce a formula like SUM but for time and not for numbers. And eventually how I could do it, is there any example to follow.
    I'm developing a program for Working Time control (I don't remember the right term in English) and a lot of prints involve hours and sum of hours (and minutes). I had modified your old version of JFreeReport (I think it was 0.7 or something like that) and introduced some features:

Repeated values suppression
    Formula calculation (included sum of hours)
    Single page print using cache (Some times I need to preview the first two or three pages of a 1000 pages and it's not so beauty to ask him to wait for 1000 pages to view the first one).
    Understrike characters
    Dynamic data in Group header,footer, page header footer and report header footer.
    Special fields like PageNumber and Print date/time
    Image Field
    Time Field

I saw some of these features are included in new release of JFreeReport, any idea if other are planned or any suggestion how to implement them?

Hi,

all of the features are already implemented, except the time sum functions. The single page print feature you implemented is not possible with JFreeReport, as functions need to be completly evaluated before they are used when printing elements. So we have to process the whole report multipe times before finally the layouting and the outputing is done.

Unlike to the old versions, this processing and the layouting are done in stripped down report processing modes; that means that these prepare runs do only perform the calculations and no output ...

The repeated values suppression can be done with a function (ItemHideFunction), formula calculation (and other fine things can also be done in functions or expressions.
    We support Unicode, so the understrike character is just one of many new characters ...
    Dynamic data is possible for all bands.

For the PageNumber and PrintDate we don't need special fields, as we have functions which do the same thing.
    ImageFields are fully implemented, and the time field is implemented by using a DateField (and using a proper DateFormat to convert the Date object into a string).

Have more fun,
    said Thomas