Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: JFreeDesigner License

Default JFreeDesigner License

I was glad to see the jfreedesigner is coming onboard. The license is interesting, as it means we cannot use the designer embedded in commercial applications.

I know this is early stage, but do you have ny ideas about whether we will be able to license for commercial purposes, or a change in license to allow this?

cheers.

Hi,

the designer is GPL, as it uses JEdit to provide the xml editor. To make it LGPL, we need a XML editor under that licence.

If you know a good one, then we will be glad to replace the editor and make the whole thing LGPL.

Have more fun,
    said Thomas

if it is just highlighting you are after, you should simply use the jedit-syntax highlighting package.

if not, then i dont know. maybe include the option to have jedit, ina resource file, but also have a jeditorpane as well?

thtas how most get around gpl anyway.

I took the basic ideas and the original code from a designer for JasperReport.

Even though by now almost everything has been rewritten, this still means that GPLed code was used. So the designer has to remain GPLed. I do not see anything we could change about it.

But I do not see the problem for commercial applications. The designer can be called from another application, the generated XML files are not GPLed. It can just not be linked into another application and it cannot be sold. Where does this mean limitations for You?

Regards,

Heiko

The problem occurs if you want your end users to be able to design reports.
    No worries though, i will have to continue using propreitary ones.

Hi,

as far as I can see, the only problem with the GPL is, that this licence does not allow to bundle/distribute GPL and non-GPL programs.

Well, this restriction can be avoided, as soon as we add an exception to the licence of the Designer, something like:

"Hereby we allow everyone to bundle or redistribute the JFreeDesigner with applications that use JFreeReport as long as the complete code of the JFreeDesigner is made
    available under LGPL and/or GPL terms."
    This way, you can bundle it with your software - and as your users can download the JFreeDesigner anyway, this licence exception will not cause any loss of freedom anyway.

If you plan to extend the designer, then you still have to make sure that your extensions are comaptible with the GPL. This should not be a huge problem as long as your extension do not link your code directly - but it is always ok (and an indication of good design anyway) to write the extensions in a way, so that they can be configured to use your classes indirectly (by reflection, for instance).

Heiko, would this solution be ok for you?

Have more fun,
    said Thomas