Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Feature Questions

Default Feature Questions

Hi all,

I'm new to JFreeReport and after reading (at least parts of) the web pages and some messages in this forum, there a two questions left.

1.) For a report that is based on data hold in a sql database, is it possible to define the sql query required to gather the data inside the report definition xml file? This would allow to define and execute reports without the need to implement a seperate invocation method for each report.
    If yes, is there an api/interface to be implemented by us that is used to execute the query (we use a special wrapper around the jdbc classes to allow sql syntax that is independent from the database product used)?

2.) Is it possible to completely define a chart inside a report xml file? The target is the same as above - the complete report including charts in the report definition file and no need for addition java code to execute the report. This should include all possible layout parameters and what is needed to access the datasets to be displayed in the chart. For the datasets, either the report main datasource or seperate sql queries should be possible.

Addition to both questions: I know that a java method is required that invokes the report engine and, if needed,and passes in arguments. But that can be implemented in a generic way (e.g. using a database table that defines the available reports). No need for an extra (set of) java method per report.

Holger

Hi,

1.) For a report that is based on data hold in a sql database, is it possible to define the sql query required to gather the data inside the report definition xml file? This would allow to define and execute reports without the need to implement a seperate invocation method for each report.
    If yes, is there an api/interface to be implemented by us that is used to execute the query (we use a special wrapper around the jdbc classes to allow sql syntax that is independent from the database product used)?
    Support for integrated datasources is part of JFreeReport 0.9. With that version, there will be support for a query facility, and an implementation for JDBC-Datasources will be part of that release.

The datasources will be referenced from the report definition; although the actual description of the available queries and connection details will go into a seperate file. The XML-parser will take care of loading both the report definition and the datasource description in one call.

JFreeReport 0.9's report data factory is be a very generic implementation, which only defines that a query has a name and a set of named parameters. As usual, JFreeReport does not care about the dirty technical details that much - which gives you the freedom to implement that thing as you like.

If your wrapper implementation is implemented as an JDBC-driver, then you can use the out-of-the-box implementation that is provided by JFreeReport.

2.) Is it possible to completely define a chart inside a report xml file? The target is the same as above - the complete report including charts in the report definition file and no need for addition java code to execute the report. This should include all possible layout parameters and what is needed to access the datasets to be displayed in the chart. For the datasets, either the report main datasource or seperate sql queries should be possible.
    Charting support is definitly not part of the first few releases of JFreeReport 0.9 - a good charting API definitly needs carefull architecture. For now, the charting support is scheduled to start in July and having a resonable implementation in September.

Addition to both questions: I know that a java method is required that invokes the report engine and, if needed,and passes in arguments. But that can be implemented in a generic way (e.g. using a database table that defines the available reports). No need for an extra (set of) java method per report.
    This looks very application specific to me. So I push it back into your domain

Anyway, I try to make the API generic enough to support such automatisms. The JFreeReport-Demo package is also a very generic framework for invoking reports (although not database based, which would then reduce the code to almost nothing) - I'm lazy too ...

Regards,
    Thomas