Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Is this what I'm looking for?

Default Is this what I'm looking for?

Hi,
    I'm a developer looking for a way to add funcionality to one of my products (developed in C++ for Windows), so that it could interact with a DataWarehouse (that could be in any Intel platform).
    I haven't downloaded Mondrian, because before that I'd like to figure out if it's what I'm looking for.
    Please could anybody explain me if this is a tool that could act as the interface to add funcionalities like asking information to a DW and drilling down from the result?
    If that's the case, where can I find information on how to use this product from another application?
    Thanks in advance,
    --Claudio

Default RE: Is this what I'm looking for?

I guess my question was rather silly, but I hope someone could answer.
    Thanks again,
    --Claudio

Mondrian is an olap server so yes, it supports drill down etc. to data in a data warehouse. It has a user interface, JPivot, or you can build your own.
    Tight integration with a C++ application will be tricky, since Mondrian and JPivot are written in Java, and JPivot requires a web server. You could maybe start the web server in a different process or on a different machine, and embed a web browser control in your C++ application.

Thanks Julian!
    Currently I'm trying to install Mondrian and JPivot.
    My idea was to develop my own interface (not using jpivot), but I don't know if it would be possible to access Mondrian from a C++ application as a client server relationship.
    Embedding a web browser in the application and use jpivot wouldn't let me have a tight integration with the rest of the application.
    Anyway if I can't access Mondrian form C++ as a client server relationship, the idea of the embedded web browser is a very good one.
    Thanks again, and regards,
    --Claudio

Mondrian (when used without JPivot) does not require a lot from its container. Note, for instance, that the regression tests run from a standard 'main' java application. So if you can run a Java VM inside your C++ process, you should be able to start Mondrian just fine.
    Then the issue is passing data across the C++/Java boundary. JNI is possible, but I would suggest using Mondrian's XML for Analysis API:
    http://mondrian.sourceforge.net/api/mondrian/xmla/XmlaMediator.html#process(java.lang.String,
    java.io.Writer)

Thanks a lot for this information, Julian.
    I'll be analyzing the way to use it.
    Regards.