Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Can you redistribute Oracle JDBC drivers legally?

Default Can you redistribute Oracle JDBC drivers legally?

Hi there,

I saw that you deliver a large number of jdbc drivers in the distribution - which is really nice. However, I was under the impression that Oracle doesn't let people redistribute their JDBC driver - legal reasons.

Am I wrong? Does anyone know of an oracle document/web page that says it's OK? I'd love to redistribute the Oracle JDBC driver with my app ( it would remove 1 installation step!).

Many thanks,
    Rich

Default RE: Can you redistribute Oracle JDBC drivers legally?

I was under the impression I could.
    Perhaps this has changed, but a couple of years ago I read most of the frigging ULA and I came under the impression I could.
    This is in contrast to for example the driver from Microsoft. For that the superb jDTS driver was developped under LGPL license.
    (That reminds me, I need to upgrade that one ;-)

Matt

Default RE: Can you redistribute Oracle JDBC drivers legally?

I hate to reply to myself, but this is what I found in the JDBC faq on Oracle.com: (http://www.oracle.com/technology/tec..._faq.htm#02_12)

third party vendors distribute Oracle's JDBC drivers along with their own software?

A third party software company (and Oracle partner) wanted to know if they could distribute the Oracle JDBC drivers with their application to their own customers. This is a legal question, rather then a technical one. I'm no legal expert, but the PMs here tell me that the short answer is yes so long as you follow the licensing terms spelled out at http://www.oracle.com/java/jdbc/license.html
    For something legally binding, get a lawyer or contact your local Oracle sales rep for more details.